Favorite Fresh Water Fish

… and your tales of catching, cleaning, and frying or…?
I thought the growing up eating seafood thread needed a freshwater counterpoint.
Catfish, crappie, blue gill, sunfish- the fresh caught meals of my youth.
:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Trout Almondine.

3 Likes

Northern Ontario, Michigan etc - lots of pike catching which is fun cuz they fight hard and are cool looking. Pain in the ass to clean up the way the three prong spine is. Bass are so so if you ask me for eating. The prizes up there are the relatively smaller but tastier walleye, at least for me and my pals. Fileted and fried up in a pan at the cabin, salt pepper tabasco. It can be fun to cook(grill) a whole scaled and gutted fish, then filet it, and then squeeze a lemon through the bones and skin and head etc and strain/pour that liquid gold over the fish too. I’m happiest fishing with simple live bait, no fish finders and lots of beer in a northern lake, including late at night while it is still light out and sharing that moment with bald eagles and my friends. I don’t measure it by how big the fish are (thrill of landing a “hog” aside), but it is nice to catch a lot and get good action. Everyone gets skunked here and there - some places it just hasn’t happened to me thankfully.

I’ve caught more than my fair share of large lake trout (and some bass) in Canada and the USA. To me, it’s a bit more involved to get them and technology and patience plays a roll. I don’t eat these big ones anymore - I release them back. This was a special moment with my children when we caught a massive lake trout in Montana, observed and admired it, and then set it free (and then of course had another smoked trout back at the cabin caught by someone else lol).

Good idea for a post @bbqboy - I note that unlike my partner’s viking family i do get seasick and keep my lines in lakes and rivers!

I look forward to hearing others’ adventures and recipes.

3 Likes
1 Like

No doubt trout from the upper Sacramento. Yes I am a catch and release fly fisherman. But every once I a while I’ll harvest one . Simply fried in butter. My favorite part the crispy tail . I live 4 minutes from the river.

4 Likes

Eel.

Followed closely by salmon.

*Assuming those count as true freshwater fish.

1 Like

Where have u fished for eel and how did u do it

Yes Anadromous.

Smoked trout or smoked whitefish, or fried lake perch.
I sometimes make pickerel plaki style or Veracruz.

1 Like

Sushi restaurant

Reservation system

6 Likes

Touché

I’ve tried to hoist them by arms out of shallow water it ain’t ez

3 Likes

Slippery!
Sometimes electric :rofl::zap:

1 Like

Loved this story

2 Likes

Did you see this story last year?https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6480749

1 Like

I need to set an eel google alert obviously

1 Like

The Fonz has been trending on Twitter

Beautiful trout !

6 Likes

Freshwater fish for eating are not common in the UK. I think there’s only trout that you’d regularly see in the supermarket - and I’m not fond of its flavour. I suppose it’s with us living on a small island that we more often eat sea fish.

2 Likes

Salmon, trout, zander. Salmon in pretty much any prep - raw, cured, smoked, poached, grilled, baked, sautéed. Trout ideally whole from the grill, zander pan-seared.

I don’t fish, but we have an excellent fishmonger in town who gets deliveries twice a week from Maine and Baltimore.

I hadnt mentioned salmon as I always think of it as a saltwater fish, even though it does live in fresh water. It’s one of my favourite eats in pretty much any preparation.

3 Likes

A big fan of smoked eel or grilled Japanese style. Stewed and jellied, not so much, even though I am a Londoner.

2 Likes