Fat sandwiches, an NJ tradition

Alright folks, I don’t think this thread is for everyone, but who here likes fat sandwiches? Let’s hear your favorites, experiences, and ideas.

I am working with a local spot that was recently taken over and the new owner wants to work with my coworker and I to make some fat sandwiches.

I can’t gaurantee I can’t get you a named sandwich, but I can try. I’m trying to start with maybe 5 or so on their daily special menu and see how that takes hold. If they get it right, I think I can get more. So if you can design your sandwich, I will see if I can get you named.

As for ingredients, think of your deli meats, salad dressings, tomato sauce, mayo, hot sauce, cheeses, fried bar food, hotdogs (they do schikhaus), burgers, pork roll, sausage, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, fries, onion rings, chicken fingers, etc. No gyro meat.

Hopefully this turns into a fun thread.

3 Likes

gotta say, I’m a fan of sub consisting of Cheesesteak, American, chicken fingers, mozz sticks, fries, and mayo; ketchup on the side…to be modest…
also included in eating it within 5 min drive of hopsital…

2 Likes

Ok… can you please name a sandwich after the board… “the Fat HO.”

It can just be a sandwich filled with every meat you got. Or just a ton of sausage like ones.

4 Likes

And you need to tell us how you got involved with this and who the shop is… inquiring minds want to know.

1 Like

How bout a “Fat cheesy” - cheesesteak, hamburger, hot dog, + fries and corn chips, cheese whiz and salsa.

I like your style! The wiz would set this off I think. Sadly they don’t have the wiz. I think if these take off he would pick some up.

It is a place in LB. I’d rather not divulge the place yet but I will soon if this pans out. We just order from there often and they have all the ingredients so we just proposed the idea.

My coworker dubbed his the fat SOB. It’s chicken fingers, swiss cheese, honey mustard, ham, bacon, onion rings and fries I think.

2 Likes

The cheesesteak at the new corner is decent, or it used to be at aleast. I would bring them home, toast them and add extra cheese.

I’m definitely not someone who partakes of these often any more, but I love a semolina roll that’s been lightly toasted. …add roast beef, caramelized onions, sharp cheddar, and some horseradish sauce and you might just get me there! #TheSkinnyFat

ETA: fries on that–forgot to mention them, but headsmack I realized people outside of NJ may read this thread!

2 Likes

For the New Jersey deprived, can you define a fat sandwich, or is it just a state of mind?

Fat Rooster
Folded plain egg omelette, crispy sliced potatoes, sliced mozz cheese, fried green and red peppers on a sub roll doused in hot sauce.

Fat Hen
as above but with a few sliced tomatoes.

Has to be stuffed, wrapped in foil and heated through until cheesey.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Nice one! They don’t have semolina unfortunately. If you want a killer roast beef sandwich the rousing roast beef is up your alley in rumson http://www.atlanticbagel.com/menu/

1 Like

This sounds good but I’m not sure if this will be too complicated to start. The omlette and stuffed/wrapped thing might scare them off to start.

My sandwich is the “fat ghost of ted” (long story lol)

Cheesesteak with extra American cheese, onion rings, hot peppers, fries, mozzarella sticks, ketchup. (I want jalapeño poppers but they don’t have them…yet)

2 Likes

Think of all the stuff you can get at a local deli or local bar, and then smash it all together with various sauces, dressings, mayo, ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, tomato sauces etc. They tend to taste really good if you have had some adult beverages :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can’t remember the last time I ordered a fat sandwich, but any that starts out with a cheesesteak is good in my book.

3 Likes

You lost me at eggs but got me back with no gyro meat.

Given my moniker I’d be remiss if I didn’t say a big pile of fried oysters with good tartar sauce.

2 Likes

I ate a lot of fat sandwiches during my freshman (and only) year at Rutgers. The memories are vague at best, but I can attest to the fat sandwiches contributing to hearty gain of the Freshman 35… I gained nearly the same amount when I was pregnant!! That freshman baby was all cheap beer, 4 am pizza and fat sandwiches.

Back to the topic, I liked the ones with fries and marinara sauce the best. Maybe a play on pizza with mozz sticks too. A bit typical but when they are good they are SO good.

2 Likes

I like the idea of a breakfast fat sandwich very much. I know a lot of places around here do them but none really do them well. Some combo of fried egg cheese bacon sausage porkroll and hash brown would be a winner if done well

Fat piasan
Cheesesteak, pepperoni, chicken fingers, mozz sticks, fries, tomato or vodka sauce on garlic bread with a topping of fresh mozz

3 Likes

Gem’s in Hazlet does a breakfast called The Rocket that is a decent fat breakfast sandwich.

The Rooster and Hen are very popular tour bus fare. We could find joints willing to make them up from grill scraps even. I make them for my family all the time. Even room temp they travel well. The roll really matters.

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here.