Fast Food Fried Chicken Sandwich Challenge

I’m more in line with you @shrinkrap, I haven’t been to a Burger King in probably 25 years. But I get Popeye’s fried chicken about once every 2 months, and if I’m on the road occasionally get McDonald’s McMuffins or cheeseburgers, but mostly hit In-N-Out on the road. I have yet to try Chik-fil-A, but my last trip to Tahoe we had just gotten our In-N-Out order and were eating in the car when I spotted Chik-fil-A across the highway! Argghh blew my chance to try it.

2 Likes

I like mine without pickles for several reasons. You get a fresher sandwich, the pickles make the crust soggy, plus the pickles aren’t very good. :rooster: :rooster:

3 Likes

Exactly. That’s what made them great :cat:

2 Likes

You’ve got to be kidding me! Another one!?!?! (Actually I look forward to trying this one!!)

4 Likes

I’ll try making it myself. Sigh , . Last time I had fast food where I live . I took a bite . And said, " Yes . For a fact. I won’t be back for years to come . And I’ll eat anything.

6 Likes

Worth the cross post…

4 Likes

100% agree.

3 Likes

Ohhhhh I 110% agree!!

3 Likes

File this one under “Other Uses for Popeye’s Chicken Sandwich.”

I’ve been a loyal customer of Delicious Orchards for almost 50 years and one thing only the real locals know is just how good their prepared mac n cheese is. I picked some up last weekend and it got me thinking about how I saw a place we wanted to visit in Nashville that put cut up Hot Chicken on top of their mac n cheese. I noticed that a Popeye’s chicken sandwich filet is just the right portion of spicy chicken meat for me and …

Before I knew it my frankenclone of this food I’ve been craving was in the microwave. After all this, words don’t come close to how good it was!

10 Likes

I like the pickles, but I was also informed that if you ask for any variation they make you a fresh sandwich. So my order is always no butter (on the roll), extra pickles. The thing is, I’ve never gone to a CFA that hasn’t been crazy busy, so even the regular sandwiches probably never sit for more than a minute.

5 Likes

Mmm. I dunno. I still really like the Whopper and their app is absolutely fantastic. And their fries are top notch as long as you ask for it with no salt. :slight_smile:

And come on, they have a 1$ bacon cheeseburger yo.

4 Likes

Chi-king!

5 Likes

My wife wanted to try thr Cajun Fish sandwich at Popeyes
. I had a bite - tastes pretty much like the chicken sandwich. Same crappy pickles FWIW

4 Likes

For your pleasure I offer you the Sticky Fingers Joint - Spicy Chicken Sandwich. In need of some good hangover food my driver and good friend suggested Sticky’s Finger Joint.

This is a cool little spot with apparently locations up on Rt 22 in the Union area. All forms of boneless chicken tenders, nuggets etc. They do a chicken nuggets and waffles all chopped, chicken tenders several ways and a bunch of french fry options, I got bacon mac.

The chicken is great, fresh real chicken on a Meyers potato roll. The hot sauce is of the Frank’s variety, just straight to the point. A good sandwich from a cool smaller chain.

We had a variety of things and everyone enjoyed!

10 Likes

There’s a free article on APP.com about local fried chicken sandwiches…

2 Likes

For subscribers only :frowning:
Bummer!

Really? I didn’t think it was marked that way… In any case, the only one of the 8 I’ve been to is Speakeatery in AP— and I’ve loved everything I’ve had there. They are doing a General Tsao chicken sandwich. Just know that everything is not on the menu every day, so if you go specifically for that (or anything else) you should make sure they have it before you go!

1 Like

I had a McDonald’s “supreme” chicken sandwich. It was perfectly decent but missing the tang of pickles. I wouldn’t rush back but it’s a OK option on the road.

2 Likes
2 Likes

We don’t live near a Popeye’s, but last weekend, we were out of town (exotic errand - buying special deck paint), and we saw one. I thought we should try it after reading this thread. We both got mild chicken sandwiches and should have gotten the spicy. They were okay. We both thought the chicken piece was too thick, and we would have preferred something a little thinner. The fries were good though. My first time at a Popeye’s!

4 Likes