Europe According to Culinary Horror (2013)

I thought some HOs might get a kick outta this:

2 Likes

As someone who either has eaten or would eat about 95% of the things listed, I agree with you.

Squid ink? Realllllly? Evolve, bra '-D

The real culinary horror is in Asia. The author would probably vomit as she/he begins her/his research!

What’s wrong with squid ink? You’d rather have pizzles?

My point exactly.

I had no idea one could find deep-fried pizza outside of Bari in Puglia.

“Horse steaks” for Italy is a bit tame. I find pony a bit more horrifying. Cow’s udders, feotal lamb, dolphin thigh (bet you didn’t know they had thighs, but it’s been outlawed anyway)… Sardegna’s maggot cheese is a good call though.

And Nestlé? And veal heart ragout? That dude needs to live a little. Or go beyond McDirt’s and Taco Smell occasionally :laughing:

1 Like

Right? I mean, I’m not a huge fan of Nestle chocolate, but calling it a culinary horror is a bit extreme.

Also, “Lard” for Slovakia? What do they think people are doing with it, eating it by the spoonful (not that there’s anything wrong with that)? It’s a very valuable ingredient in baking and cooking!

Not in Europe: Balut: The Filipino delicacy that makes the world squirm.

I actually thought including Nestle’s was the funniest part of the map.

People do eat lard by the spoonful in Italy (or by the spreadable slice). Don’t know what they do with it in Slovakia…

The deep fried pizza, etc, is something of a culinary joke about Scotland’s poor diet.
It seems to have started in 1995 with the deepfried Mars Bar - in the Haven chipshop in Stonehaven. That’s now a food legend in the country and it’s led to chipshops frying other things like the pizza. Beats me why folk can’t just be happy with fish, chips and mushy peas - with the occasional Hollands steak pudding for a change.

It looks pretty bloodthirsty in Europe. 9 nations eat blood. Maybe Dracula was not from Transylvania.

What’s wrong with liver paste?

1 Like

Thanks for letting me in on the context. Deep fried pizza is now a trendy item in NYC.

I’ve only been in Scotland once, and I had wonderful healthy meals throughout my stay (with the exception of all the shortbread I ate, which no one forced me to do). I mainly stayed on the Isle of Skye, eating piles of delicious fresh fish, seafood and fresh vegetables and fruits, with the occasional meat dish, but also concluded the very local alcohol – dark rich beers and whiskey – was nutritious and beneficial! (Don’t think I was just kidding myself. Haven’t had it since.) But I also ate well in Inverness and Edinburgh (and one other small town whose name now escapes me), including staying at a vegetarian b&b. I think I could live on oatcakes.

But I did worry about all the people I saw smoking. :worried:

What is liver paste? What do you do with it?

A liver pate, not usually high end though, in a jar or squeeze tube. For sandwiches.

I like that stuff. Havnt seen it in our UK supermarket for a while. They also used to do seafood - crab & prawn - in squeezy tubes. Might look out for it again for the festive season - Mrs Harters has bought some mini pastry canape cases and these would be ideal for filling them .

at the Polish restaurant in Boston they give you lard to eat with your bread and it is delicious

Thanks!

Might be a fair guess that more countries eat lard (like butter) than don’t if they eat pork at all. My German grandmother used to save bacon pan drippings in a jar to put on her toast.

A now closed place near me used to serve beef dripping instead of butter.

I’m totally down with spreading it on bread. By the spoonful, though, I’m not sure I could do it - although I have been known to eat butter straight. I suppose lard isn’t that big a leap!

In some presentations in Italy, the bread or toast is really just a vehicle for getting the lard – or lardo in Italian – into one’s mouth. The lard is not really a spread.

and frequently, if one orders a plate of mixed cured meats in Italy, this is what you will get in areas where lardo is a local specialty. Up to you if you want to transfer it to bread (probably most Italians would)