Europe According to Culinary Horror (2013)

Check out Ikea. I got a couple of seafood pastes in a tube there. Can’t remember now what they were.

Oh yes, lardo and I are good friends - I don’t think of it as the same beast as the rendered lard that I would use for cooking, though. The whipped lard with rosemary at Del Posto is more what I had in mind - I love love love it on bread, but I’m not sure I’d want to take a spoon and go to town!

1 Like

I was at IKEA the other week. Don’t think they had them either - they used to do a really nice crab one.

The lardo di Colonnata of Tuscany is made in marble from nearby Carrara, so that lard is definitely a different beast.

http://www.academiabarilla.com/the-italian-food-academy/meats-charcuterie/lardo-colonnata.aspx

Then I also recall there is a lardo from a town in the valle d’Aosta, made from pigs that eat chestnuts and which must be served over pieces of broiled or baked polenta so it melts a bit.

I am surprised that this thread has dredged up from my brain so much lard! I actually don’t like it, and only tasted lardo di Colonnata once, and now leave it on the plate when it shows up in mixed antipasta. It doesn’t do much for me, and if I’m inclined to eat fat with abandon, I like a bigger payoff for my (personal) tastebuds.

Here’s an Italian singing the praises of IKEA crab paste in 2007, but apparently it’s no longer sold in Italian Ikea’s either

It most certainly is not the same :slight_smile: