End-grain cutting board value

Hi Eiron,

Yes, I heard that you are quite the craftsman and your knives do look spectacular (I checked out your website).

Eiron, this also happened to me when I purchased the style of cutting board that Ray has pictured above.
However, the one that I purchased was not stamped like Ray’s.

Olunia

1 Like

This is the cutting board that split after about 1 year of use.
Its new function is as my fajita pan trivet at the table.

3 Likes

Glad you found a way to repurpose it! I don’t think I’ve ever had a board crack like that, except one very old plain wood one that was a hand-me-down, it was probably 40 years old and the previous owner used to put it through the dishwasher, which I don’t do. Any wood or bamboo board I just give a good sink soapy scrub, then (if I have any concerns like chicken contam) dry at 220°F in the oven for an hour.

1 Like

I use separate cutting boards for vegetables and meat.
That’s exactly what I do and wash the boards right away, if there is any raw meat.
Towel dry the best that I can.
Then sit it in the dish drainer to ensure that it is completely dry before putting away.
P.S.
I don’t dry them in the oven as you do because I’d be afraid of them cracking.

1 Like

I’ve been there, Olunia. Had something in my hands at TJ’s, then upon closer inspection, a flaw. They have some many nice looking things; but I rarely buy any. Non stick, or chinese cast iron. I’m out. I’m always hoping, as I walk in, that they’ll have some CS, or a Staub dutch oven. A fella can dream.

2 Likes

Fajita trivet. Good stuff. I burned the hell out of a board I have, and I put hot stuff on that one now, like your spilt board. I still have two of the old school kind, that pull out like a drawer, in my kitchen. Haven’t used those…ever.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, Ray, that’s a thoughtful gift from your friend. Have you found any warping with it? I seem to remember a Japanese board that is very kind to knife edges but warps pretty easily, I thought it started with an H. Maybe Pertti talked about it on the old board.

Hi VFish,

I believe the one I have is essentially an accessory board to be treated gently–as much for beauty and fragrance as a foundation.

It must be made wet before use. I’ve used it for salads, but especially enjoyed the fragrance.

Used that way, warp is not a concern.

Hi, Eiron,

Glad to hear you area doing well. That santoku sounds interesting, I’m sure it’s going to turn out as excellent as your other knives. I’m not familiar with the hardness rating of D2 steel compared to what you’re working on.

So your TJ Maxx board isn’t fuzzy, eh? I’ll have to do some sanding then, I imagine. Not something finer? It’s just a very fine feeling of down with it. You can’t see it.

You know, I still haven’t gotten back to those plastic cutting boards and not sure if I will or not. But this would might be easier to work with than refinishing plastic cutting boards.

1 Like

That’s good to hear, Ray. Was this the wood talked about, though? I’m trying to remember. Hopefully, it stays good for you.

Hi Olunia,

Thanks, I enjoy making them and love being able to combine the technical and the artistic. :blush: I’l admit that I’m embarrassed by my website, though. :grimacing: I spent about 20 hours teaching myself how to use the web-building software and payment portals, and it seemed to be working fine for a while but then stopped being functional. And now I haven’t been back to review its condition in over a year…
(I’ll post pics of the S35VN santoku as soon as I can.)

Don’t give up hope. I’ve found lots of good, high-end stuff at their stores. (e.g., All-Clad Copper Core, Mauviel 2.5mm) The trick (or the burden?) is to check back often enough to find 'em. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They can both reach the same hardness. Hardening is the only step I don’t do myself, but there’s a local heat treater who does hardening for Spyderco and Benchmade EDC knives that I go to. I give him a 60-62 HRC range and they always come back at 61 HRC.

Start with something finer and see how it goes! :slight_smile: If you don’t seem to making any progress, then switch to something more coarse and work your way back to the finer grit. A light touch with the coarser grits will keep your sanding marks to a minimum, making lighter work of the finish sanding.

Hi vfish,

Hinoki is fragrant cypress.