Empty restaurants New Jersey

glad to hear- I know a lot of the problem with school closings was lack of internet access or even pcs at home…
we just had to get the little ones chromebooks for what im guessing will be at least 6 weeks of distance learning

1 Like

Amazing. AMAZING!!! This is one thing I’m seeing over and over again; if you live in a town that’s already community-focused, it’s growing.

I woke up to a bunch of updates on email and on social media from AP restaurants and stores. With the new rules in place, many of them are doing takeout/delivery ONLY, pushing for gift card purchases, and being 100% honest about how scary this is. I’m trying to support the locals as much as I can for as long as we can go out and they can stay open.

This is just one example, from the company that runs Reyla and Barrio Costero:
Want to help continue to support us?
If you are not comfortable with leaving the house, we understand! We encourage you to purchase gift cards in the mean time that you can use at a later date!
10% of sales made from gift card purchases will be donated back to Trinity’s Food Pantry!

3 Likes

(I"m going to create a special thread dedicated to any “specials” local restaurants are running so we have one place to go to see what is happening and who/what we can do to help support the locals)

3 Likes

thanks JR- I posted a cpl I was aware of on the best deals page Curlz brought back. Would be a good chance for us all to sample some local spots and do some good while providing info should someone google it.
I’ll be stocking up on BagelMasters delivery soon- hopefully they freeze well.
hopefully Foodtown still has wine left.

2 Likes

lol we got Bagel Masters yesterday, line was out the door as usual!

1 Like
1 Like

yeah. Darren has been all over FB trying to figure out what to do for his shop b/c its’s not possible to social distance in there…but he’s trying to push delivery as well. Hopefully that helps.

1 Like

The NJ legislature was discussing this morning a bill for business interruption because of this virus.
Typically virus is an excluded item on policies but if passed, insurers providing business interruption coverage will be required to provide coverage due to the virus.

2 Likes

In my experience, the best way to freeze bagels (even long-term) is to do it in a Ziploc bag!

2 Likes

I make bread roughly once week - 2x a month. I always slice it and freeze it. I’m toasting it anyway and never noticed any issues.

2 Likes

As the rules change and with more restaurants closing (hopefully temporarily), I’d like to suggest that for those who are okay with doing so that we get takeout from our locals AND FREEZE WHAT WE CAN’T EAT IMMEDIATELY. At least the restaurants can use up the stock they have vs. dumping it that way…

and now they are exclusively delivery/curbside…which is what they should be…
lunch tmw is a good PR,E,&C - only question - on a bagel or a roll?

Not only is it a good deal but Nicholas Creamery too?! Genius! Best thing I’ve heard all day.

2 Likes

What a great idea! I wish I had room in one of my 3 freezers.

2 Likes

Today my wife had to lay off 350 employees including herself for her company, a wholesale/retail/restaurant seafood operation in NYC. The impact of closures are not limited to the owners, servers, bartenders and cooks, but extends to the HR personnel, bookkeepers, etc. and beyond. Difficult times all around for far, far too many.

1 Like

UGH, so sorry to hear it.

1 Like

Sorry to read this. Hopefully we all do the right thing and your wife and her 350 colleagues are back at it sooner vs. later! Stay well and healthy my friend.

3 Likes

So sorry to read this! &^&&^%$%^& virus!

2 Likes

I see that Bloom in Verona and Il Nido in Marlboro have decided to temporarily close instead of offering takeout / delivery. At least I was able t get one last outstanding dinner out at Bloom on Saturday. At that time they said they were doing takeout / delivery but I guess they didn’t get enough business to keep it going. It looks like my dinner at Bistro D’Azur on Sunday was my last meal out for a while :sob: I hope that Laurel & Sage will at least be open for takeout on Saturday. That was supposed to be our last dinner there before they close at the end of the month. I would have liked to have said one final goodbye, and have one final meal there after 5 years.

2 Likes

Was there later in the week and it was already getting sparse… I heard Tom Colichio (did I mangle that spelling) who is predicting less than 75% of restaurants will survive… People need to reach out for take out and gift cards to keep them going…

1 Like