Egg price gouging

Have or had one near me too. Not sure they still hae the honesty box. Definitely off the beaten path, and sometimes ravaged by flood and fire. They used to sell chickens too.

2 Likes

There is an honor box at my local library for books & DVD(s) they want to sell.
I assume when a book or DVD doesn’t get checked out for a while, its thrown on $1 sell shelf.

2 Likes

Ulster County NY, too. But not on the main road.

1 Like

4 Likes
3 Likes

This article also reference Farm Action, like the post above by ipsedixit.

2 Likes

Eggs as contraband.

Welcome to 2023.

1 Like

I looked today at my local grocery. Close to eight dollars . Eggs. Ehh I don’t think so . Not for breakfast anymore . I have a acre of land . Do I really want chickens who lay golden eggs .

i don’t get Iowa

1 Like

Look at the children’s picture book, ‘Gwendolyn the Miracle Hen’ by Nancy Sherman. That’s the egg layer I’ve always wanted.

I’ve said that so many times :smiley:

2 Likes

10 Likes

9 Likes

$3.49 yesterday at Whole Foods for the store brand (limit 2 doz, bit no one appeared to be stockpiling)

$4.99 at Trader Joe’s for the cheapest kind that used to be sub-$3.

None available again at the local TJs. I went to a supermarket and found some organic jumbos at about 80 cents more than the comparable ones I get at TJ, $5.75.

Has anyone else noticed that eggs have gotten smaller over the last couple years. What used to be X-large are now the new Large. And Large are the old Medium.

I was thinking the same thing just the other day. Mom occasionally likes a fried egg on a half muffin. Seems when I used to make this, the egg covered the muffin. The last few times the muffin seems to need two eggs. Oddly, I haven’t noticed any difference in my baked goods or other recipes. (I usually buy large, but a switch to Jumbo may be in my future.)

1 Like
3 Likes

egg sizes are based on the weight of a dozen, per the USDA

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safety/safe-food-handling-and-preparation/eggs/shell-eggs-farm-table#17

3 Likes

Maybe the shells are getting thicker\heavier?