Egg price gouging

I always check eggs out first to make sure none are broken/cracked. And yet when I crack eggs nowadays, they crack a little too easily, like on the breaking point of cracking. It’s a conspiracy I tell ya.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

not if you look at the nutritional label

I was at the “fancy” market (DeCicco’s on lower Westchester, NY) the other night shopping for some good cheese. $6-7 a dozen for both regular and “better” eggs.
This week, Shoprite in White Plains has dozen store brand large for $5.99 and a dozen Eggland’s large for $4.99.
Last week I had a Costco delivery and the 24ct Kirkland Cage Free eggs was $7.59.

Not as eye-popping as I expected.

1 Like

I may have mentioned before that I’m a nerd. From my name-brand grocery, XL are always within 1-2 grams of 65 and with 10 or 12 in a bowl on a scale, net out averaging 65. Large are also pretty uniform and net out around 57 or 58 (basically to spec.). I check them from time to time and they’re always good.

At Aldi, on the other hand, they are all over the map. The store here only sells large sized eggs, but they can run from under 50 grams (I think 48 was common) to over 65 grams. If I wanted to cheat, I could open 4 or 5 dozen “Large” packages at Aldi and cherry pick myself one dozen XL eggs. I quit buying eggs there because I do like XL or Jumbo, but also because 3 times in a row with random grabs, the average on the dozen was around 53 grams. Their shells are also usually too fragile.

6 Likes

Well if you hadn’t, you’ve now proven it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Same here at the local Safeway. I always weigh my ingredients for my pasta and large eggs have always been (and still are) 55-58 grams.

3 Likes

CCE, I’m impressed! My hat is off to you.

4 Likes

I just paid more for a dozen eggs than for 2 chicken leg/thigh quarters…which came first, the chicken or the egg?

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m seeing the same thing my NJ Shoprite. Eggland’s Best always used to be much more expensive than the store brand but not lately.

2 Likes

Watch out, I may have to upload 10 years worth of Excel spreadsheet graphs of turkey and standing rib roast temperature-over-time during roasting.

Just kidding. I lost the earlier file and my available data only go back 8 years.

4 Likes

Well you have said you’re a nerd :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I can’t say I know anyone else who tracks these things. Although I have worked with several Excelaholics.

1 Like

Interesting - thanks for posting. Hopefully the FTC can spare someone from the Google investigation to take a look at this.

Proving collusion might be difficult unless leaders at the large producers were dumb enough to set it up in electronic media (hey, sometimes lightning strikes) but even without proving collusion, just a spotlight shining on the circumstantial evidence might prompt a drawdown on pricing.

This graph is from the story but is a good summary. The price hike in 2015 was due to a bird flu outbreak that (according to the story) was worse than the most recent one, yet the price spike now is considerably higher. I’m not an economist - perhaps one such could argue that the current spike is justified by the combination of our current transitory (cough) inflation and the flu. But that doesn’t explain the larger profits that Farm Action claims are currently being reaped.

2 Likes

This made me laugh! Not a bad price all things considered.

10 Likes

We’ll played!

1 Like

from my farmer friend down the road, $7 / dozen. Not sized so I usually weigh for baking. Often recipes are precise in grams for everything but the eggs. I’d prefer the egg weight as small changes can have obvious effects. Probably most aren’t that picky😁.

1 Like

I am not an economist but my professional life requires me to parse lots of economic data and decide how to deploy resources based on what I think it all means. Data and the sources need to be considered. I clicked through to the story and saw it was attributed to another source. When I went to that source I said uh-oh. Clearly someone has an ax.

Remember the old saying about there are lies, damn lies and then statistics? Charts are very helpful to tell a story. But remember someone is telling a story. It’s not facts but a narrative.

2 Likes

I’d say the price/time chart itself is not impeachable (assuming it has not been digitally altered, and assuming someone didn’t bugger it to not count currency cost over time), but agree the group Farm Action does appear to have an axe to grind.

And I don’t know their source for their claims that the profits are up much more than normal.

And if they are up right now, what is the history? Is it cyclical like gas/oil where they run spikes some years, losses in others?

OMG! I’m nervous paying $.23. Going up. Don’t think the producers are making the extra your paying. Feed prices have skyrocketed. The eggs I buy are from the producer to my school five miles from the farm. $.23 w/out the middleman is a little scary. Buck a pop make eggs less a staple.

The producers aren’t profiting any more than when they much cheaper.

No doubt the chart of price over time is fine but you need context. I’ve seen charts of all sorts of commodities that have spiked recently. Many more extreme than what has happened with eggs. Look at natural gas in Europe. Clearly an effect of the war. Energy prices are higher in the US. Just because prices are higher doesn’t mean there is collusion. Unless you’re the type that is always seeing conspiracies.

1 Like