Egg price gouging

fixed

1 Like

Actually, I just saw a regular dozen (large sized) eggs for 2.99 at my local grocery store.

woo hoo! Shortages really do breed oversupply.

My local grocery store has eggs (dozen) on sale this week (digital coupon) for $1.97 - limit 2.

I picked up two dozen. I don’t know what I’ll do with them yet, but they are in the fridge… waiting.

My grocery surprised me today with a price-drop for my usual brand down to 2.69/dozen of large eggs. The next closest priced brand (the one I changed to during the ramp-up) was 3.49/dozen.

1 Like

More devilled eggs variations, for dish of the quarter?

3 Likes

In NJ this week, ShopRite has their brand of 18 large white eggs for $1.49.

1 Like

Yep, TJ’s Jumbo down to $1.99.

1 Like

I read a very long time ago a first person story from a guy who decided to smuggle some parrot eggs across the border. He went into great detail about the cost and tribulations and stress about smuggling fertile parrot eggs through an international border, but he was successful to a point, the eggs all hatched. Unfortunately, they were actually buzzard eggs.

5 Likes

Shoprite in Westcheter NY $1.79 for 18 large. Best price I’ve seen in ages!

1 Like

I’ve gotten interested in buying eggs from pastured hens but haven’t had a lot of luck finding them around here. Got a dozen about a week ago but since then every time I hear some are available, they’re gone before I get them.

I started paying attention to what’s available in my grocery and there are a couple of brands certified as being laid by pastured hens, currently running $6.5 and $8.50 per dozen “large”. I got a dozen of the more expensive brand(*) and another dozen “Free Range” and “Certified Humane” (**) that were “extra large” at $4.70/doz.

When I got home I weighed the free range XL sized eggs and they averaged 63.1 g/egg. The “large” eggs in the pastured dozen averaged a bit more at 63.3 g/egg instead of the expected 57 or 58 g/egg, and they were all pretty uniform in size.

(*) I had to get the more expensive brand because all 5 cartons of the cheaper brand had a use-by date of 16 May. I’m not sure how no staff noticed this, because this is a very well run store. It may be that this was a 1-time offering so they just sat there unsold and uninspected. I’d have been okay buying at several days past a use-by date, but not 3 weeks after. Anyway, I took the 5 cartons up to customer service and the lady gave them the red sticker treatment.

(**) I wasn’t too clear on all the labels except a vague notion from reading here and elsewhere that “cage free” and “free range” don’t mean a whole lot in real world terms - e.g. imagine a huge, packed henhouse with an exit to outside at either end, which most of the residents don’t even know exists. I think this counts as “free range” because in literal terms, they do have access to the outdoors and they’re not held in cages. But the “Certified Humane” label does have at least some (but not much) meaning - they have to have access 6 hours a day and at minimum 2 square feet per bird. Not positive how “access” is defined, though.

If you combine the “pasture raised” and “certified humane” labels, that means the birds have considerably more space per bird outdoors (108 sq.ft), but the “pasture raised” label is not regulated by USDA and producers could be lying about conditions. OTOH, although the people at the “Certified Humane” organization complain about deceptive use of “pasture raised”, they do give (sell) their “CH” designation to operations they’ve inspected and who are labeling the eggs as such. So if I see eggs sold as pasture raised but absent the CH designation I’ll now wonder if they’re lying, or if they’re honest but not willing to knuckle under to what seems sort of a mob-style “protection money” situation.

2 Likes

The medium sized producers I buy from say the feed has gone up in price quite a bit while taking a downturn in quality. fertilizer and, subsequently, feed are driving costs up on all foods.

3 Likes

Eggs were 97 cents/dozen on digital coupon last week (limit 2). I picked up two dozen and Sunshine picked up 2 dozen, so we are now well stocked for eggs.
I’ve been wanting some egg salad, so now I can make it.

5 Likes

Saaaaaa-WEEEEEET!

Buck a dozen, I haven’t seen here in way too long, not even on coupons.

Enjoy your egg salad. It’s one of my favorites.

1 Like

I got a dozen eggs from my family farm last month and the yolks were so orange they made an orange’ish omelet. Delicious!
I wonder what causes yolk color variation? Time to do a little research. I think Perdue feeds their chickens marigold seeds to turn the meat from greyish to golden. Different aspect of the same animal.

3 Likes

From Serious Eats…

So the results were clear: For the best tasting eggs, go for pastured chickens. Barring those, choose whichever eggs have the highest levels of omega-3 fatty acids. Where flavor is concerned, it doesn’t matter if the eggs are organic, cage free, or from a cage battery.

https://www.seriouseats.com/what-are-the-best-eggs#:~:text=So%20the%20results%20were%20clear,or%20from%20a%20cage%20battery.

The color of the worms they eat.

1 Like

I just checked my meat delivery, and I always order pasture raised chicken eggs with my delivery. The price went up from $6.99 a few years ago, to $7.99 during pandemic, and now it’s $9.99 :skull:

You can’t go back to regular eggs though once you’ve had the pasture raised chicken eggs.

2 Likes

As long as there is one step between the bug and me I am fine! I mean, I enjoy Blue Crab and pork and I hesitate to even think about what they eat.