Effective ways to remove smell from silicone?

I have a glass container with a plastic lid and silicone rim, the box is used for cheese and I just cannot get rid of the smell. Silicon ice tray too, started to get freezer smell. Vinegar and baking soda just doesn’t work.

Any suggestions to remove odour? Thanks in advance.

Looks like nobody has any idea. I read an old CH thread, somebody had some success putting inside a ziplock bag with cat litter, after a few days, the litter absorb all the smell.

A second method that I read that might work is to put the silicone in a high heat oven. Make sure that piece of silicone can withstand heat.

Wd40 lol

There isn’t much wd40 and duct tape can’t fix :joy:

2 Likes

You’ve already tried my tried-and-true baking soda. What about prolonged sunshine? The universal solvent.

3 Likes

I would try a bleach-water soak followed by a run through the dishwasher on sanitize/extra hot. Any lingering smells, coat in baking soda paste and leave to dry in the sun a few days.

1 Like

Sun is rare these days. I will try this. Thx.

1 Like

Why does your freezer smell funny?

Food-grade silicone is mostly porous so if you have smells they’re on the surface. That means a solvent. I’d start with a vinegar soak (no baking soda) with a few drops of surfacant such as Joy or Dawn. If that doesn’t work try alcohol wipes. Whatever you do, don’t leave soap residue behind - it attracts dirt which leads to poor seals.

Cheese is high in fat, so anything you would use to clean fats is a good start.

When was the last time you emptied your freezer and scrubbed it? Do you keep an open box of baking soda in it?

1 Like

I have tried all the solutions listed here, and only one of them worked: cooking the silicone in a hot oven. A low-temperature oven didn’t work either. But when the oven was good and hot, it worked wonders. Obviously this can only be done when all parts are oven-safe at high temperatures. I removed smells of cigarette smoke and smells of bad food from silicone by simply heating it up and then opening the oven door to let air circulate.

1 Like

Good to know!

For hot, you mean what temperature? Each silicone is a bit different, each has different maximum temperature.

It was a long time ago and I don’t remember the temperature setting. Just that in those two cases, keeping the heat conservatively low didn’t work, and I almost gave up.

I did this recently for an ice tray that was just AWFUL. Also a while ago for some muffin cups that a friend washed with lavender soap and everything cooked in it after that tasted of lavender.

1. Low temp oven (250-300F), for a long time - this worked for the thin muffin cups. Didn’t work as well for the thick ice tray, but it may just have been a function of time and temp.

2. Boiling water plus acid - this worked for the ice tray. Large pot, enough boiling water to completely submerge the ice tray. Either white vinegar (cheap) or lemon juice (I threw in the skins too, since there’s essential oil in the rind). Covered and left overnight - the smell was gone by morning. It might be faster to boil the whole lot for a bit instead, checking the ice tray now and then for smell.

1 Like

I’d skip the lemon peel or other oils - lemon scent is an improvement, but I’m trying to get the smell out, not put a new smell in. :slight_smile:

I hadn’t tried acids like vinegar or lemon juice. I did try boiling in a strong solution of automatic-dishwasher detergent for a relatively short time (15 minutes or so), which did almost nothing - but I didn’t leave it overnight. (I had mixed the detergent so strong I was afraid the pot might be damaged if I did that, and it wasn’t even my pot.)

This discussion comes in handy. I have 5 or 6 placemats that have absorbed the not so pleasant smell of an old kitchen cabinet. I prefer to keep them but get rid of the smell.

1 Like

I’m certainly no expert, but I remember reading (as @naf mentioned) that there are different grades or formulas of silicone - it’s not all the same - so even after making sure they’re silicone, you can’t assume that they’re rated for the kind of heat that a silicone baking tray is. They might be. I don’t know the specifics.

2 Likes