Effective ways to remove smell from silicone?

I have a glass container with a plastic lid and silicone rim, the box is used for cheese and I just cannot get rid of the smell. Silicon ice tray too, started to get freezer smell. Vinegar and baking soda just doesn’t work.

Any suggestions to remove odour? Thanks in advance.

Looks like nobody has any idea. I read an old CH thread, somebody had some success putting inside a ziplock bag with cat litter, after a few days, the litter absorb all the smell.

A second method that I read that might work is to put the silicone in a high heat oven. Make sure that piece of silicone can withstand heat.

Wd40 lol

There isn’t much wd40 and duct tape can’t fix :joy:

2 Likes

You’ve already tried my tried-and-true baking soda. What about prolonged sunshine? The universal solvent.

3 Likes

I would try a bleach-water soak followed by a run through the dishwasher on sanitize/extra hot. Any lingering smells, coat in baking soda paste and leave to dry in the sun a few days.

1 Like

Sun is rare these days. I will try this. Thx.

1 Like

Why does your freezer smell funny?

Food-grade silicone is mostly porous so if you have smells they’re on the surface. That means a solvent. I’d start with a vinegar soak (no baking soda) with a few drops of surfacant such as Joy or Dawn. If that doesn’t work try alcohol wipes. Whatever you do, don’t leave soap residue behind - it attracts dirt which leads to poor seals.

Cheese is high in fat, so anything you would use to clean fats is a good start.

When was the last time you emptied your freezer and scrubbed it? Do you keep an open box of baking soda in it?

1 Like
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold