Eater: The 38 All-Time Best Food Movies

As usual, I’m not recommending, just providing info!

7 Likes

Well that’s an interesting eclectic mix. I guess something for everyone? I’ve seen about 1/3 of them with varying levels of enjoyment.

2 Likes

I’ve seen exactly half of them. And now there are some I want to watch anew or for the first time.

1 Like

Movies I probably should have seen but haven’t: Babette’s Feast, Tampopo, Eat Drink Man Woman. Seen most of the rest, and the ones I haven’t I didn’t watch for a reason :wink:

The Taste of Things is def on my agenda.

2 Likes

I’m crestfallen that “Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe” wasn’t on the list.

5 Likes

I’ve seen 34 of these. Maybe 35.

GF 1&2:

3 Likes

Eater missed one: What’s Cooking? Full movie which is unusual nowadays on YouTube.

2 Likes

I’ve seen somewhere in the high 20’s of these. Maybe low 30’s.

I worked on one. :slight_smile:

One they’re missing (though I couldn’t rightly say should be on the list; I just remember it very fondly) is Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe

I’m very happy to see Le Grande Bouffe on the list. I always felt like I was the only one who’d seen that.

4 Likes

Ooh, can you say which one you worked on? I remember Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe: As a child it made me obsessed with “bombes”. And also glad to see La Grande Bouffe on there. I guess The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover would have been a step too far.

1 Like

interesting list and i was glad to see it comprised of some less obvious choices. the first glaring omission that came to mind though, was The Cook, The Thief, …

were i to put together a list, i would want it to have some set of criteria for inclusion, which for me would require some sense that Food is a central theme, or plot driver, or indeed a character in itself. for that reason, i’d be hard pressed to include say, When Harry Met Sally, which has some key food references and settings, but are in no way critical to the ultimate resolution of the film.

3 Likes

Exactly. “Chef”, “Like Water For Chocolate”, and “Chocolat” all fit that criteria.

1 Like

Ratatouille.

I was responsible the coloring and appearance of most of the vehicles (cars, scooters etc) in the film. My birthdate is at least one of the license plates. Also did various kitchen bits, but did not work on any of the food itself.

It’s left me with the urge to own either a Citroen 2CV or one of the DS models with the weird air suspension and those awesome rear wheel skirts.

Most of the dishes in the film, including the title meal, were designed and developed with Thomas Keller.

And yea, The Cook, , The Thief, … is not exactly the kind of film that makes you want to run off to dinner.

I mean, if we’re going for just memorable food scenes, the formal dinner scene in Triangle Of Sadness (a seafood dinner on a boat in the middle of a violent storm) also probably isn’t appropriate for the list.

Personally, I was always fascinated by Malcom McDowell being fed spaghetti and drugged wine in A Clockwork Orange. Something about the crude way he eats, like he’s starving but doesn’t want to show it, I find inexplicably riveting.

5 Likes

Cocktail and Sideways? Huh.

Like ya never heard of the 3 martini lunch :wink:

1 Like

Oh, OLIVES are a food group now. FINE.

(Finishes her martini, huffs off to make dinner.)

3 Likes

It’s stuff like this that I can’t wait for the :smile: or :rofl: emoji on HO.

Forgot Monty Python And The Meaning Of Life and Eating Raoul. The late lamented Chowhound had a lot of these types of threads.

Eating Raoul is on the list. It’s one of several on the list I saw - not that I remember a lot of it.

Just one mint, it’s wah-fer thin, and very rich…

1 Like