Eater: The 38 All-Time Best Food Movies

When I read the thread caption, I thought of cooking food, not just eating it. A few that leapt to mind included The 100 Foot Journey, Mostly Martha, Big Night, and many more. I include Chef in that category.

3 Likes

The 100 Foot Journey…another good one to be included (vs Cocktail).

3 Likes

Sub Theme/ If You Knew Sushi:

Sushi Girl
East Side Sushi

Also Ramen Girl

1 Like

Sushi Girl

Mark Hamill in a great villain role using some of the snakey charm that made him such a great voice for The Joker.

And don’t forget Dead Sushi, a trashy, gonzo comedy/horror about, uh, zombie sushi.

Really.

As goofy and whacked out as it sounds.

1 Like

If we include beverages, I would include Bottle Shock. Try to ignore Chris Pine’s hairpiece. I also enjoyed Uncorked a lot.

1 Like

Blood And Wine (If we include beverages)

1 Like

Bottle Shock

Alan Rickman can elevate almost anything.

I reserve a special hate for Love Actually. Nothing can save it. Not even Emma Thomson. But that’s way way off topic.

Maybe we should go for the anti-list. We can include “Mr. Creosote” from Meaning of Life, The Cook, The Thief…, Flux Gourmet (a weird art/horror/black comedy centered on food sounds), Leaving Las Vegas (if we include drink)…

1 Like

Waiting.

I agree about Love Actually and its extended roll in a dish of treacle, but Bill Nighy is always cool.

Bill Nighy, Emma Thompson & Alan Rickman are the only saving graces. And that big-eyed drummer kid, who isn’t nearly as adorable now.

1 Like

Playtime. I have been thru opening nights like that.

Yojimbo. Many critics say watching Mifune eat is one oh the great scenes in movies. Not just food movies. The camera angles, the lighting and Mifune’s barely contained anger!!

If the Eater list purports to be movies you watch “when you want to feel really hungry,” it’s a dumb list. There are some that fit that category - Eat Drink Man Woman, for instance. But if you “feel really hungry” after watching The Cook, The Thief, then I think there’s something wrong with you.

1 Like

I happen to really like Love Actually. Well cast movie imo. So many great scenes. Collin with those three girls in Milwaukee. Jamie winding his way down the sideway with her family following to propose to her at the restaurant. And of course the prime minister and Natilie. One thing that really bugged me about this movie is that it came out about a year after the 911 attacks. And yet everyone was cheering that kid on running through airport security.

Ok, back to Eater and food movies.

3 Likes

For the anti list Fast Food Nation.

When you think of Fast Times At Ridgemont High most people think about Phoebe Cates coming out of the pool. But it also has some funny scenes in the fast food place Judge Reinhold worked it, (discussing how the “special sauce is made. Spicoli and the Pizza is also memorable.

The TCM message had threads like these. I miss them.

Also recommended The Founder. It’s a biography about Ray Kroc, (played by Michael Keaton.)

3 Likes

If we’re going in on the alternative entries (I’m not that impressed with the list anyway):

Daisies ( Věra Chytilová, 1966)

1 Like

I have to agree on Colin Frissell. I also like him a lot in Death in Paradise. However, I cannot think of him without singing, in my mind or aloud, “and he’s got a big knob.”

2 Likes

Ditto. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like