East coast vs west coast

212!!!

Elaine gets a new area code on Seinfeld

I think I moved to DC before “718”, although most of my family was still in the “outer boroughs”. What year did 718 get started?

1984!

And the next two numbers were letters!

Why Did Old Phone Numbers Start With Letters?

Wait… that’s not what we’re talking about.

I left out the BBQ trinity of brisket, pork spare ribs, and sausage, plus chicken fried steak which was handed down by German immigrants making schnitzel.

i grew up in Chicago. So - from the middle of the country I miss:
Chicago pizza (NOT the deep dish kind)
Jay’s Potato Chips
Vienna Sausages (AKA: hot dogs)

1 Like

I had thin crust Chicago pizza several times and it was excellent, never did try deep dish.

East-pork roll and egg sandwich
West-sushi

3 Likes

Oh, just thinking about that makes me sad. Abalone used to be so common in California that they called it “the sirloin of the poor.” It’s delicious and we had it all the time, we ate a lot of seafood in my house. Even when I was a kid you didn’t really even have to go that far into the water to find fairly big ones, and you could just pry them off the rocks with a knife. It was still common for people to decorate their driveways and garden paths with abalone shells. Between the overfishing and the collapse of the kelp forests, the abalone population is in bad shape. It’s going to be a miracle if it doesn’t go completely extinct.

2 Likes

Fish and game prohibits any abolone fishing until 2021 in California . This could even be longer . No more abs .

1 Like

And even a total prohibition may not be enough to allow a rebound, the population is so depleted. And there are always poachers.

1 Like

YES!!!

1 Like

https://www.abalonefarm.com/about-the-abalone-farm/

really good bratwurst and fresh cheese curds for me please !!!

2 Likes

Knowing you are on the left side, I was surprised you were originally from NYC…
When I grew up I was two letters and a number FIeldstone- 3-… (343) no area code…which meant there were less than 10 million phone numbers in the US…

1 Like

Anytime you need some…just call me…a relative of mine has the Boar’s Head provision route that services them…it only helps when there is a big line on Saturday or Sunday morning…
Warm hot bialy’s…then best…

Our Rogue Creamery here in Southern Oregon has Cheddar curds in various flavors, but I don’t know how far afield they’re sold.
Not very far, I reckon.
They squeak.

1 Like

3 Likes

squeaky curds is always a good sign!

1 Like

I agree, no edible bialies in the sf bay area

1 Like

I was Bayside 9, but I don’t recall if there were area codes at that time.

1 Like

YO-8 for me. Yonkers!!!

1 Like

I might add a last name to my name here: PHREDDY FI-3

1 Like