East coast vs west coast

Then when are going to do a North vs South?

4 Likes

Just today, Costco about 40m north of San Francisco had some of the largest lobster claws Iā€™d ever seen.

lob2

3 1/2 lb elbow and claw, extrapolate into weight of a whole beastā€¦ PIERRE jr!!!

1 Like

Which Costco was that?

Got you covered. How many do you want? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get live ones at the local Asian market, then I cook them myself. I usually wait until they are down to about $6.00 a pound, but that hasnā€™t happened in awhile. They were $7.99 this weekend.

An article about Current prices

Rohnert Park. Cooked Dungies at best I recall $5.99/lb. On the smallish side though, probably about 1.5 ~ 1.75 lb average.

Or how about the middle of the US?

Yes, our SIL get them live at a Chinese market. I donā€™t know the current price.

I grew up in NY but have lived in San Francisco for the past 20 years.
I get back to NY 1-2 times per year and typically get bagels with lox, pizza and hit Katzā€™s for pastrami. I also cook up a lobster feast and clams in various forms at my momā€™s house on Long Island. The West Coast manila clams arenā€™t as good as East Coast little necks.
San Francisco has upped its pizza game considerably since I first moved here though, so pizza is less of must have these days. When I get back to SF from trip Iā€™m usually craving a burrito. Dungeness crab is great, I only buy them live from the docks and steam them up. I love blue crab but it is a lot more work to get meat out of them than Dungeness.

1 Like

Depends on where you decide the line would be.

Geography and state lines donā€™t do a good job of delineating cultures, especially 2 decades into the 21st century.

2 Likes

I canā€™t. :confused:

1 Like

Iā€™d not even heard of them til a few years ago. Incredibly sad.

Nice!
My dadā€™s family goes back at least to slave records in Alabama, my husbandā€™s family first gen in Atlanta. My sisterā€™s in-laws in N.C. might be somewhere in-between. My son now lives in Florida!
Lots of differences! But I suppose thatā€™s true in the various places east and west coast as well.c

This is likely off-topic so excuse me. In 1976 I moved from Atlanta to San Francisco. At times someone would say ā€œoh, youā€™re from Georgiaā€ and Iā€™d reply ā€œno, Iā€™m from Atlanta.ā€ Huge difference in so many ways. Even bigger if you try to stereotype the entire South. Food relate? I never heard of ā€œpulled porkā€ when I live in Atlanta.

Oops! Just noticed I was supposed to choose one. Pastrami.

2 Likes

In and Out Burger

1 Like

First asparagus. From Mexico :mexico:

3 Likes

I never realized you were an original ā€œ718ā€

Think Utopia Bagelsā€¦ in Whitestone

1 Like

Thatā€™s some good looking stalk right there.

Iā€™m glad this is turning out to be a cool thread. My goal was to see what people crave from the other side of the country. There are awesome recommendations from each coast and Iā€™m hoping to try some of these during my travels. I never knew the west had the sourdough category. I donā€™t eat much but next time I am out there, I will seek this out.

How about abalone? Iā€™ve only had it a few times. I do not seek it out on the east too much.

1 Like