East coast vs west coast

“I’m not sure what the census figures mean in this discussion”

Nothing, really. When I first moved here, I told myself it was the same, but it’s not .

1 Like

Where in NorCal that the peas look like that?!?!?

Strange season! I am technically East Bay, but borderline Central Valley. My poblanos are still hanging in there.

One of my favorite peppers.

1 Like

Mine too!

2 Likes

I’m aware they do mail order, but I’d rather just buy it from a brick and mortar store. I don’t always want to buy candy in large amounts.

Bialys used to be easy to get at any Jewish deli (even a lot of coffee shops) and I’ve always liked them better than bagels. They got to be much harder to find as the Jewish delis have been slowly dying out, but seem to be making a comeback from the artisan baking people.

4 Likes

This is the right link:

http://chocolateshops.sees.com/ny/newyork/

Def Dungeness crab. Out of curiosity I recently looked at getting some live shipped. Wow! Approx $70+ for 4 crabs and $70+++ to ship. Oh well.
2nd would be the availability of interesting vegetarian Mexican food. So good on the west coast. Just bleak, greasy and orange in Connecticut.

1 Like

When I first took up my sidter’s invitation to come stay in Sausalito, I was most intrigued by the fact that no matter the ethnic group or other delineation one could choose, everyone in California seemed to be Californian before anything else. The prospect of prosperity and that anything was possible was just not something that I, at least, ever experienced in the Heart of America I was raised in.
Exhilarating and liberating then even if regional distinctions have now faded in the internet age.

1 Like

When was that bbq? And are you talking about S. Marin specifically or the whole area

They lived at gate 5, A dock, behind the Bait Shop, Next to Kappas Harbor,

1 Like

Since folks are going in for more than one … From the west coast, California wine is a close second to sourdough, See’s also would make my list as well as crab louis. East coast pizza for sure and in agreement with the rugalach although I’ve had my mind blown by some of the west coast bakeries.

As per request, I’ve flown to San Francisco with an entire NY pizza, the restaurant/ pizzeria I ordered from obligingly cooked it lightly and froze it in their walk in deep freeze for me. It reheated beautifully. Maybe because I live on the east coast, but I’ve always preferred the food on the west coast.

I just moved from East to West a year ago. I also like West Coast better, but it is just one of those things that you don’t miss it until you lose it. I kind of miss Manhattan. It is a great walking city. I can just walk to many interesting places without the need to drive.

5 Likes

Well, SF and Portland are walking/public transpo friendly but I too love NYC.

1 Like

Have you tried costco? They have dungies but they are always cooked at my local one. I wish I could get them live here but I don’t ever come across them.

We live on the Left Coast and not a single Costco that I’ve asked has cooked them live and onsite. They’ll say “cooked fresh,” “not frozen” or some such but I rarely find ANY PLACE anywhere that cooks them onsite which makes a HUGE difference IMO. But probably better than none. BTW “dungies”??? Now that’s a new one to me :slight_smile:

It could be an east coast name/term. I call them dungies. Here I eat blue claw and lobster. I catch them or get them from friends that fish commercially. I can’t get live dungies so if I want them I have to buy them cooked, which I don’t prefer (still delicious though.) I just wish I could catch them here. I haven’t caught them but it looks like fun! For some reason shellfish tastes better if you catch it, or your friend/family does. Obviously this is mental but I go with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We stayed at a place many years ago on the Oregon Coast that came with crab traps and pots for cooking. One of our sons-in-law buys a bunch in SF and cooks them up for a post-Thanksgiving feast. When we lived in SF we’d get one, spread newspaper on the floor and eat it with lots of sourdough bread, butter and salt. Back then it was easy to get a two pounder. Not easy these days. Most of the big ones will go to restaurants that pay a premium for them.

2 Likes

It is the same way with lobster here. Any 3lb or more demand top prices. To get a 3lb+ bug around here will cost you 60 or more. This is why you stay close with your commercial fisherman friends. They take care of you and you take care of them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@bobcat
Even in decent nyc grocery stores it’s common to see cauliflower with brown spots, yellow edges to broccoli, sugar snap peas that are tough, berries that a third of the box is bruised beyond use… it’s just been on a truck or plane or whatver and often is slightly past its prime or mishandled at some point along the way (ie cucumber are left on the loading dock on a day like today when it’s in the teens)
So not only is produce a good bit more expensive but also just not as fresh.
Summer is a different story and there’s certainly great stuff at the farmers markets here for those few very short months

2 Likes