East Bay Eateries near Amtrak

I keep hearing about all the closures in Oakland. Anything in the Rockridge neighborhood? Then, there’s Berzerkley. I hope you have success with some of the new openings! Keep us posted!

2 Likes

I have some good memories of meals along College Ave, when we used to visit Oakland a lot. I haven’t had a chance to visit that part of Oakland since my uncle passed away several years ago.

1 Like

4th Street in Berkeley seems to still be going…short walk from Amtrak. I was there on a weekday afternoon a couple weeks back. All the restaurants look open. Angie’s Montreal Deli (old Brennan’s space) is closed however.

1 Like

Just FYI when you decide to drive: we have been going to Moussaka/San Leandro for the last year. Owner/Chef Nilgun Boyar is a former sous chef at Quince, the Michelin three-star restaurant in SF. Boyar hails from Turkey, raised by Turkish and Greek parents. She went to culinary school in Switzerland and worked in fancy hotel kitchens in Turkey before landing in the United States. She has called Moussaka Mediterranean Kitchen “her return to her family’s home cooking roots.”

Her Chickpeas Schwarma Bowl, well-seasoned with roasted cumin, so impressed my niece who is vegan, she asked to return two days later to Moussaka. We love her Meat Moussaka and the Hunkar Beyendi (braised lamb over eggplant puree).

Nilgun is a warm and extroverted hostess who loves to welcome diners. Note there are two dessert menus at Moussaka: Nilgun also has an in-house separate bakery called DessertChu. Her housemade Mango Mousse Cake, Tiramisu, and especially the Baklava Cheesecake, are swoon-worthy.

Moussaka Mediterranean Kitchen
599 Dutton Avenue, San Leandro, CA
Moussaka/San Leandro menu

5 Likes