Dungeness Crabs! It's time!

@shrinkrap -

Regarding the beans, they chew on them a bit. Mostly they love that they can throw them, they make a “thunk” when they hit the floor and they can bat them about. Now raw asparagus stalks? Those they eat! But I don’t give them many as I like asparagus too much to share heaps.

As for the crabs, they give you the crabs straight from the steamer, they are not cleaned. I put them in a insulated bag and by the time I get home they are cool enough to clean but still warm enough to eat. They do reheat well (if I have overbought) and I feel comfy eating them one or two days later.

1 Like

Can’t decide on my late night snack!

crab and celery root remoulade

steamed dungeness crab with meyer lemon aioli

Sketchy reviews on this one… Do reviews matter to you?

Bobby Flay coconut crab cocktail

I would just crack and eat . Why ruin a good thing. If I had to choose it would be the remoulade.

You are so right.
I’ve been doing the " crack and eat" for a few days now, and actually slowed down the eat part long enough to put some aside. I was thinking of dressing up just about a 1/2 cup before I went to bed.

I DID do a version of the remoulade…with a bit of black garlic, no celery root, no red onion, extra carrots, extra celery, extra scallions.

greedy gourmet celery substitutes

3499 ratings, and no reviews on that F&W link? What does THAT mean?

1 Like

This bodes well :frowning:

Yeah, I saw that headline.

Anyone notice the crab butter is particularly sweet this year?

1 Like

Does anybody know if the boats at Pillar Point Harbor have started selling crab again with the new Covid orders in effect as of Monday? The hotline hasn’t been updated since March.

We were at Johnson Pier (Pillar Point) this last Friday. The pier itself was cordoned off to visitors. Don’t know if its reopened since. Will probably cruise down in a couple of days to check it out again, will report back if its open for business.

2 Likes

Great thanks! My poor nephew graduates from HS and without the pomp of a formal graduation (they dropped off a cap and gown to his house) so we wanted to make him a crab feast. New England Lobster Co. has them for $8.95/lb and when I was at Sun Fat in SF two weeks ago they didn’t have any.

1 Like

If you are in/near SF, try The Girls (their term, not mine) @ Alioto Lazio.

https://crabonline.com/

Ez parking right in front of store, on Jefferson across from The Cannery. Call them first to confirm availability or even to reserve product.

Good luck!

1 Like

I thought the commercial season was cut short to May 15th? https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Dungeness-crab-season-to-shut-down-May-15-along-15222427.php

Maybe some stores are importing from Canada? Especially on this coast, easy to import from BC.

Yes maybe Oregon and Canada.

‘Everything is gone’: Pier 45 fire puts 2020 crab season in jeopardy, millions in fishing equipment destroyed

1 Like

from Eater SF:

The Chron reports that the gear that was lost was “used to deliver approximately two-thirds of San Francisco’s fresh seafood,” and KQED reports that each operation lost about $300,000 of equipment, for a total loss of about $9 million. It gets worse: According to ABC 7, most crab fishermen aren’t insured against fire, which means that their losses might be permanent — and without their gear, recovery seems impossible.

the fire took out “crab traps and salmon tanks and hydraulic blocks and herring nets and buoys and black cod traps and shrimp traps and replacement transmissions and spare parts and tools and extra propellers and forklifts” — and all of that equipment is necessary “to continue working and bringing fresh seafood to San Francisco.”

What next.

1 Like

Yikes. As if there aren’t enough bad news lately.

A little good news

2 Likes
2 Likes