Dungeness Crabs! It's time!

7.99 at the Daly City Ranch 99 NYE

I didn’t end up making crab cakes, but I love the advice from others!

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’ll be referring back to this thread more than once!

Also 7.99 at Sincere Seafood Market at the Swan Market in Oakland

1 Like

$8.99 Costco Burbank (SoCal) New years eve.

By the time we got there they were way picked over and the few left looked awful. (Our bad for delaying.) So, we nabbed a pack of the honey smoked salmon, and, with bagels and wine we already had, had that for our New Years Eve dinner. Not too shabby : )

2 Likes

I’ve had crab at least once a week since the season started — part of an Xmas brunch spread, a sandwich, roasted with garlic noodles, etc. Made this spaghetti this past weekend:

9 Likes

You’re killing me here! It’s much pricier down in Los Angeles and not as nice : (

Edited: Just found out a local very nice asian market now has live dungeness for $7.99 a pound. I may have to go and nab some!

2 Likes

:astonished:

$8.95/pound for already-steamed crab at Marina Fish on Mission Boulevard in Hayward/San Leandro. We’ve had good luck with their fish and shellfish before. Probably going to make Crab Louie salad.

3 Likes

Just when I thought I was out, someone brought home 2 cooked crabs from Gus’s (I think she said it was $9/lb).

Cracked and used some meat on top of a caesar salad I was already making.

The rest I used to throw together a roll (mayo thinned with lots of lemon, some chives). Then the leftover crab on top of the pepperoncini chips we ate with the rolls for some ‘crab bites’. They were really good (the roll too).

6 Likes

Oh, man!

My wife wants to go back to Marina Fish in the next few days to get the makings for cioppino, since the PEI mussels we got from them last weekend were also excellent.

3 Likes

According to the tag, about 2 pounds average.

6 Likes

@shrinkrap - drool!!!

$7.99 a pound here - http://www.littletokyomarket.com

And you steam versus boil?

I steam! ( thanks Melanie Wong! )

I steam them one at a time, two pounders for about 12 minutes, then on ice while the next one steams. I used to steam 4 at once in a canner, but some didn’t cook as much as I thought was right. On the other hand, I think underdone is fine for chili crab. Still trying to perfect that.

6.99 at Manilla Oriental supermarket and 6.99 and 8.99 at New Cenutry Seafood Market

Perfect . I used to put them in a ice bath after steaming. Then became only ice . Less water the better. I’m so far away from live crab now . :cry:

2 Likes

@shrinkrap -

Thank you for the home steaming tip! Little Tokyo Market will steam them for you for free - which is fab and they do an incredible job - but I have often wondered about steaming them at home…

BTW, as I type this, a cat is playing with a favorite cat toy - a whole raw green bean. Odd but wonderful.

2 Likes

I’m sorry. :expressionless:
I use those frozen cold pack thingies.

1 Like

Does the cat eat them? I heard dogs eat them.

Back to the crabs…do they clean them at all , or give them to you straight from the steamer? How long do you keep them that way? I always end up buying and steaming more than I feel like picking right away, but try to get the “butter” of pretty quickly. Not sure why.