Wednesday for Oregon!

2 Likes

More on Oregon;

1 Like

Every single year they get a screwin

2 Likes
1 Like

Gee, this sounds like the stimulus “debate.”

Bummer is all I can say but this happens every freakin’ year.

2 Likes

Get the damn politics out of crabbing. These fishermen have a short season and large overhead. Christmas is the biggest seller for them .

3 Likes
1 Like

Chronicle and other local papers report that an agreement on price has been met and crab season is officially open. Still waiting for EaterSF to update their info.

Fresh Dungeness crab finally on its way to Bay Area after fleets, wholesalers reach agreement - SFChronicle.com

I wonder, since the agreed-upon price is so low this year due to reduced demand, how will that affect the price? Low demand usually means lower prices, but if buying directly from the fishermen they may want to raise prices in order to make up what they lose selling to Pacific Seafood.

2 Likes

Finally. I hope all parties, including me :grin:, will be happy.

Support the fisherman . Once again the’re struggling . Very hard work with high overhead. I’m sure they have been talking to family. I’m selling the boat . I’m barely breaking even . They missed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and new year’s sales .

4 Likes

Hope you don’t mind my asking, but are you a professional fisherman?

No. I lived in Santa Cruz for 60 years . Coming back from a crab haul those guys are beat to shit . Met them at the harbor for the unload .

3 Likes

Request to the group: Please post here if someone confirms the HMB crabbers will be selling off the boat this week? I’d like to go head down there like in past years…
TIA!

3 Likes

May also want to give a couple of these guys a call to get the latest intel.

https://fishlineapp.com/crablineapp.html

3 Likes

Followup; went down to Pillar Point Harbor yesterday and they were selling live crab! $9/lb; most crab were 2 lbs (or less), no big ones. There were 2 boats selling at 11:30 when i was there, and there were lines. They did run out shortly after i got mine. Lots of folks out there, many buying big qtys.

4 Likes

Just picked up three ~2# dungies from Seafood Center at Clement and 10th ave. $10.99/lb for ones bigger than 2#, $9.99 for ones smaller than 2#. Their tanks were quite full, though most of the crabs looked like they were on the smaller size. This was at about 3PM, so bigger ones may have already been taken in the morning. The other seafood market (Wing Hing @ Clement and 7th ave.) may also have had them, though I was drawn in by the large tank in the front window of Seafood Center. Will steam and eat tonight and report back on quality.

5 Likes

They were excellent, sweet and very meaty.

4 Likes

Cracked crab , melted butter, or not . Beer . Haven’t had this in a long while.

$9.99 a pound live, at County Square today. $3.00 more a pound than last year, and more lines of course. I hope someone or something is benefitting.

Six crabs weighed 11.3 pounds.

The socially distanced line. Sort of.

2 Likes