Dungeness Crabs! It's time!

I can’t imagine turning an offer of crab down, but I always get less meticulous about my picking, and more picky about my “recipes” as the season progresses.

1 Like

I hear ya Shrinkrap. One of our favorite recipes was Dungeness eggs benedict. The pizza we made was with a buttery Alfredo and smoked gouda cheese with big pile of Dungeness meat on top.

2 Likes

$7.99/lb live $8.99/lb cooked at Sun Fat SF.

1 Like

$7/lb off the boats at Pillar Point Harbor. 2.2 lb average crab weight. 4-5 boats selling crab today.

8 Likes

These look great! Do the boats go out on Sundays? Around what time do they usually get back in to sell their catch?

The boats fish based on the weather. The boats can hold a few days worth of catch, there are local retail seafood markets selling fresh cooked crab in the area.

There is a whiteboard outside the harbormasters office listing boasts, location, and seafood.

3 Likes

I didn’t ask when they caught them, but this app/web page seems to list the boats that are selling and whether they are sold out so you could call to make sure before heading over.
http://fishlineapp.com/

1 Like

Pretty flawless :crab: Right now.

7 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Thank you! That will be extremely helpful.

1 Like

When a crabs legs are not tucked tightly against the body after cooking, it means the crab was dead before cooking.

Hmm. If you look at the crab in the top left photo the legs aren’t tight against the body, but it was super lively and aggressive and most definitely alive when I put it in the pot.

1 Like

Yep. Dare you to put your finger there.

1 Like

Brisket44 what Jmat said is just not true. Like I have said I have fished hundreds if not thousands of Dungeness crab and cooked as many too and they’re pretty much limp biscuits when you pull them out of the pot.

2 Likes

OK, Sorry, but I have heard that many times.

1 Like

Maybe they tighten up when submerged in ice water?

Jmat that is true they tighten up a little when their iced down. But their legs and claws don’t pull up tight to their body.

1 Like

When I steam them, I usually cook them within two hours of them being removed alive and thrashing from the tank, and check that they still respond in their “faces”, claws, and legs as I put them in the steamer. One or two legs fall off before the body is done. and I eat them while they finish steaming.

1 Like

On a whim, we got cooked crabs from the fish stall at the Fremont (Irvington) farmer’s market today that the vendor said were caught yesterday. $9.50/lb, but they had live ones for $9/lb. We’re going to extract the meat, toss it with garlic, butter, and herbs, and serve it over fresh fettuccine.

2 Likes

Cooked crab at costco in SF today for $5.99 / lb

4 Likes