(Duck) stock recipes and technique?

I roasted a duck recently. Now I have made a stock/broth (I never know the difference) from the bones and wings and unroasted duck neck.

As I rarely roast duck, I rarely encounter what to do with the subsequent stock made the next day about a 6-hour simmer). The quantity after straining is perhaps two quarts (about 2ml). Last I made a beef-stock for French Onion Soup, I felt the stock was too intense and maybe too reduced. I wonder if people typically dilute highly flavored broths/stocks with water or chicken broth. If the duck liquid is reduced enough to go gelatinous in refrigeration, for example, is that something to be diluted?

I know I could go by tasting with some recipes, but not for all. I’m not sure what general “ratio” guidelines might apply for such highly flavored stocks like duck or beef. Do people typically mix duck and chicken broth, for example, to temper the flavor for a soup? Or I could reduce it further, but how far?

I made some, reduced it as much as was practical, and froze cubes in an ice tray. I use it a cube at a time, like I do chicken stock, so I don’t a good sense of it’s intensity. I’ve not it used it on its own, but remember using some in gumbo, and also used some crab stock. Sorry I’m not more helpful!

Beware of explosions on reheating: https://www.chowhound.com/post/exploding-duck-stock-275541

If it’s too intense, you have to go by taste. I suggest that you freeze it in small containers so that you can use it in a variety of dishes.

That reminds me!

Duck stock

I’m struggling a little to understand exactly what you mean by “too intense”. A good stock will be gelatinous in the fridge, but the doesn’t make it “intense”. Do you mean it is too “Duck-y”. I don’t know what that means either - it should be duck-y …

In general I wouldn’t thin a stock with another stock. I would thin it with water. But if you don’t like the flavor then you could use chicken stock to reduce the flavor.

Some of it could depend on what you are making. You could reduce it further and use it as a base for a sauce … you could thin it for a simple soup with just some noodles and maybe bok choy.

If you can help clarify the issue I can try to help more. (Sorry for any auto correct typos, my phone seems very sensitive today).

When I have some leftover meats with bones; shrimp heads and shells; fish bones and heads; automatically I make stock. Other times, if I don’t have enough bones etc, I will freeze them for further use.

When a stock is too salty (I guess it’s what the meaning of intense?), I dilute it with water. Rarely I add another stock to dilute. Not long time ago, I needed a seafood stock to make a soup base for noodles, I combined the shrimp stock with the mussel stock because I needed a bigger volume, and neither was enough, I added some seaweed and miso, it was delicious. I’m not very academic when coming to stock. Only very specific recipes, I follow the recipe, if the stock is central in the dish.

Can’t stiring avoid broth explosion?

I guess I have to be careful, as I’m never around when broth is cooking, I guess this is more a problem when it becomes thick.

Wow. I never saw anything like that, but I do make stock, refrigerate it and reheat it. I guess that it should be reheated slowly, on a low heat.

Not too salty. Just more something like how you not would make a beef soup entirely from demi-glace. Lot’s of moisture has been removed in simmering. I reduced this stock by about half, and defatted it, but I think I’d dilute it for a soup broth or risotto. It’s interesting that there are no real rules, just tasting, to go by.

Precisely.