Drying salad ingredients

I generally like the Joseph Joseph stuff. This thing looks too tippy to me.

I use my big OXO salad spinner constantly; I recently had to take apart the lid to get some crud out of there and it took me MANY youtube videos to figure out how to do it without breaking it.

2 Likes

We use the spinner for everything…except the prewashed lettuce in the plastic tins.
If we have fresh greens from the garden that gets a soak and/or spin and then onto cookie sheets and into the fridge for about an hour. Dries things out pretty well.

1 Like

I use the Oxo salad spinner. The lid and basket usually just get rinsed (my sprayer does a good job of getting bits of lettuce out of the basketweave). The bowl may or may not get put in the dishwasher depending on how dirty the greens were.

Pro tip for chilling greens - throw some ice cubes into the bottom of the bowl before inserting the basket and filling with water to wash/soak.

2 Likes

We ALWAYS wash commercial ‘pre-washed’ and all other produce (exteriors on things like melons, pineapple, fruit etc.). You never know what’s in/on there…If the grasshopper was dead, then the pesticide worked.

3 Likes

Haha, yes the pesticide was effective! Or lack of oxygen in the packaging. Yes to washing stuff, I always wash the outside of fruits, often enthusiastically. Berries get a gentle thorough rinse, and all vegetables are washed as well. I don’t want the bacteria to get into the flesh while cutting. I’m not real OCD about it though.

2 Likes

Spinner then plain white paper towels. Our spinner gets thrown in the dishwasher. Current model is an Oxo as others have mentioned. Works fine. It spins fast. What more do you need?

2 Likes

Yeah. I have the oxo salad spinner too. I love it. It works great, but it does take some efforts to clean. Or I should… it takes some efforts to clean and dry the spinner. If the spinner is not properly dried, then it can starting growing molds…etc.

3 Likes

Same here. I do a quick rinse, but I also find myself checking for the pieces that go bad quicker. There’s always at least one variety of green in that bag that seems to stay be wilting (I recall this being noted in a thread about red lettuce too…). I’ve also read or seen way to many photos of people finding frogs on their said mixes. They should stop building those salad plants next to ponds.

5 Likes

I’ll gladly pick out the radicchio and frisee for you, that’ll be my salad.

3 Likes

I do the same, don’t want to get what’s on the outside of the fruit on the inside. Except raspberries. Washing just ruins them and I don’t want to take the time to set them each upside down on paper towels to drain.

1 Like

All yours! I’ve put them on the bread plate.

1 Like

Split it with me. I LOVE the spring-mix style of leaves way more than standard lettuce types.

3 Likes

My husband hates the radicchio and frisee, so when I serve us spring greens I pick those out of his and put them in mine.

It’s the red leaf lettuce that goes slimy before anything else that annoys me.

5 Likes

I own an Oxo large salad spinner.

I’ve only cleaned it once in the DW, when it was brand new.

After using it for my green salad, I just flush it under cold water and dry it thoroughly in paper towels and let the parts air dry on the kitchen counter.

I only use it for lettuce and cabbage.

7 Likes

Boy, you got that right. It’s so sneaky, being almost exactly the same color from fresh to rot

1 Like