Dry pasta VS Fresh pasta (home made as well as store bought)

Hi Pertti,

The best way to knead a dough is by hand in my view, but it’s incorrect to say that all food processor cuts the dough, unless you just use the standard cutter the FP comes with.

My Magimix 5200 XL comes with an array of different attachments and I use the one for whisking eggs and that pushes the ingredients for the dough around and doesn’t cut the dough, it pushes it around inside until the dough comes together and then pushes the dough lump around until it’s complete, which I most certainly would call kneading.

You can do the same with your stand mixer, I just happen to feel my Anskarrum stand mixer is a bit too large for the rather small size fresh pasta doughs I’m normally making, and I find my Magimix 5200 XL does an equally great kneading job as the stand mixer or even better job for the rather small doughs.

But best result is to do it by hand in my view.

1 Like

Here are the two dry pasta brands I prefer.

La Molisana and Monograno Felicetti

Even the pasta, that aren’t ‘bronze’ made, still has a somewhat rough surface texture to help them cling on to sauces.

There is a LOT of science in cooking and recipe development. What can’t be quantified is someone’s personal taste.

2 Likes

Or their method.

1 Like

Precisely. My Italian nonna couldn’t even agree with her 4 sisters, all Italian nonnas themselves. They all made delicious food, it was all a little different, and I would pay big bucks to have any one of them back again to make me a meal.

7 Likes

Anyone has tried the pasta Pietro Massi? Just curious, listed in the menu of a one-star restaurant.

1 Like

For me it depends on hydration. Nothing kneads a very wet dough like a Magimix or other FP.

If dough seems very wet, I throw flour at it until it behaves. Both ingredients and room humidity vary greatly. Recipes are only starting points from which one adjusts ingredient quantities…

If only that technique worked on children….

1 Like

I like Italian, German, Polish, Hungarian, Greek and Asian noodles that are dried , frozen, refrigerated, as well as fresh.

You don’t use a Danish whisk?

I use my Danish whisk for 80 percent of my doughs, including pizza dough. :slight_smile:

The only noodles I make fresh are spaetzle.

1 Like