Dry pasta VS Fresh pasta (home made as well as store bought)

To be fair, Germany’s a little closer to Italy than the US.

I like Asian egg noodles, I guess the egg content is very low in noodles when compared to pasta.

An exception to fresh egg pasta that I like is Spätzle.

1 Like

Very true.
The title of this thread does not mention al dente yet rather Dried Pasta VS Fresh Pasta (Homemade as well as Store bought).

I do like fresh for the obvious 3 (ravioli, tortellini and gnocchi only mentioning these to agree that fresh has it’s own place for our family) yet prefer lasagna, Cannelloni and Large shell for Manicotti to be dried vs fresh despite them being submerged and slathered in sauce.

I don’t think gnocchi belongs to the category pasta, also prefer to consider ravioli and tortellini, like gnocchi as dumpling even they have a pasta envelope.

2 Likes

Source? Because grownups should provide one.

2 Likes

That’s why pasta is a relative term.
I see your point of a type of dumpling for the 2 (ravioli and tortellini) yet gnocchi I do consider it to be pasta despite the 50% flour and 50% potato ratio in the recipe.

I’ll have to take a better look as I have not seen this brand of pasta except for on Amazon.

Even in Italy, the north considers it dumpling, the south pasta. :wink:

1 Like

Ok so that explains it for me.
All 3 of my Italian girlfriends are from Southern Italy so I claim that I’m guilty through association. :thinking:

2 Likes

I believe ATK likes the Barilla No Boil, soaked a few minutes in warm water. I think they are excellent, hard to tell it’s not fresh pasta, so much less work!

1 Like

I love her lasagna Bolognese recipe, so much work but it’s in my top 5 favorite dishes.

This photo is from the last time I made it, 7-8 layers, used every dish towel I own to dry out pasta sheets after dunking in boiling water then rinsing in cool water “like delicate lingerie.”

5 Likes

I haven’t tried soaking mine will have to put that on my list of tries next time around. Thanks for sharing will report back once I do.

Well my source is the cooking catalogue and cooking references based on restaurants, cook books, cooking videos, YouTube, instagram, articles and most important of all Italian citizens & Italian chefs I’ve been fortunate enough to speak to.

The term ‘Al dente’ used as a state you would like your pasta to have, I have yet to see or hear in connection with other type of pasta dishes than the classic Italian pasta dishes finalised or made in a frying pan or sauter pan.

If you have problem accepting that, I’m sorry to say that you’re out of luck and proper understanding of basic Italian pasta cuisine.

Of course that’s just my humble opinion.

Precisely.

The egg noodles I’ve been able to source and buy hardly have any eggs in them at all - some haven’t any eggs in them at all - yet they are referred to by many as ‘egg noodles’

So, absolutely nothing you can use a citation. Just your vague “trust me, I know a thing.” Not terribly convincing.

5 Likes

:wink: :cowboy_hat_face: :upside_down_face:

Food is not science, well at least you can’t put recipes and food notions into formulas like you can with a mathematical formula.

If you look long enough I’m sure you even can find some, that prefer their ravioli ‘Al dente’ - in fact I don’t like my ravioli overcooked, but to say I like them al dente is stretching it a bit.

DRY PASTA VS FRESH PASTA

‘95% of all italians prefer dry pasta’

‘With fresh pasta you don’t get the al dente part’

1 Like

Hi Damiano,

What I call pasta speed sauteing, you could also call finishing the pasta, but I tend to undercook my dry pasta and then have 3-4 minutes with heat on in the sauter pan/frying pan to speed saute the pasta, mixing it with the other ingredients you have in your pasta dish.

I think finishing the pasta is probably done better with the heat turned off in the pan.

I tend to saute my pasta at medium heat for a couple of minutes in the pan with the other ingredients to swril the pasta in the sauce and I also find, that this infuses the pasta with taste from the sauce and with the spices from your pasta dish.

You could sometimes also call it speed braising depending on how much sauce you have in your pasta dish.

If you have the time, take a look at these videos - where the chef does what I call ‘speed sautéing the pasta’ as the final touch before serving. You could just call it finishing the pasta, but I personally feel the pasta gets a quick speedy sautéing too…

Luciano Monosilio

Gennaro Contaldo

Carlo Cracco

Joel Mielle - Recipe30

Antonio Caluccio

Cheers, Claus

2 Likes

This guy is talking BS and just making up numbers which are not backed by any facts. He is indicating that 95% of all Italian prefer taste wise dry pasta which is just wrong. Like many people around the world Italians at home also cook more with dry pasta for convenience as it is easier available but that doesn’t mean that they prefer them as superior. If you talk with them they like and use both of dry and fresh pasta depending on what dishes they are preparing. (in addition, there are also regional differences as Northern Italy tends to use more fresh pasta whereas the Southern part uses more dry oasta