Drew's Bayshore Bistro..............Keyport, NJ

I’m pretty tied up for the rest of December too. Retail and Xmas leave little time for much of anything (except Dim Sim of course).

1 Like

Two words.

Food coma…

Had a another great night at drews. A few pics and a report to come. This place never lets me down!

Jim’s jumbalaya
20181211_200747

Paul’s shrimp and grits

Wylie’s crab cakes

My flat iron steak and shrimp

10 Likes

We were there last Wednesday and paid our respects to GHWB with a kick ass Drew’s empanada that was the size of a frisbee folded in two and the pork du jour / shrimp and grits and smiled all the way home.

5 Likes

For apps we had…

2 of the voodoo shrimp, a classic dish that I always start with. My buddy Jim literally ate all the cream sauce with a spoon. Haha! He smiled and said “I will take this place over any fancy venue” (normally we go to other spots for our Xmas dinner. First timer here and he loved it)

Pork belly: enough said. Drew knows pork so no explanation needed. I just wish this came with a heartier serving of those awesome cider pickles. Those things are about as good as the pork.

Broiled oysters: if I was at home I would have literally licked these shells clean.

Mac n cheese: no explanation needed. Home run

And drew sent out an order of the Nashville chicken. This was the ringer of the night. I am in love with this dish! The chicken crunch, jalapeno slaw, and breading spice melded together so well. This was a true treat. Thank you Drew for hooking us up with this. That was a very kind guesture…not needed but truly appreciated. You have a Nashville chicken fan for life now.

I’ll get into more but overall a great night and kudos to our server Cassie. We had some late arrivals and she took it in stride and did a wonderful job.

Eli, I sent a shout out to the kitchen from you and they helped us out with some beignets too.

4 Likes

CJ, I’m so glad that you enjoyed your dinner at Drew’s, and thanks for the shoutout to the kitchen :slightly_smiling_face: Isn’t that Nashville hot chicken amazing? It made such a difference when Drew switched from the breast meat to the thigh meat. It is so much more flavorful and juicier. And those broiled oysters are the closest thing to Dragos in New Orleans.

1 Like

The chicken is some of the best I have had in a long time! I can’t wait to get back soon.

1 Like

Yes, Mrs. P likes it so much that she orders the chicken every time we go. Last time Drew comped us an appetizer portion and Mrs. P still ordered an entree portion and took some home :smile:

1 Like

I want to see if they would possibly do a half bird. I agree the thigh meat is best but I’d love to taste some wings and sample the breast meat.

I tried paul’s shrimp and grits. Good lord, the grits with the butter flavor were outstanding! The bacon just pushed it over the top.

My coworker managed to demolish his dish (same surf and turf as mine) and proceeded to hammer down a dessert too. He is a beast! I took half mine home and may heat it up for lunch in a few.

2 Likes

Drew has done the breast meat in the past, but that is mainly white meat, and not as flavorful as the dark meat thighs. He also gets these huge Amish chickens which are very flavorful. I don’t think I have ever seen wings on the menu. (at least not while I was there).

The shrimp and grits are excellent as well. The Benton’s bacon really puts it over the top. Mrs. P used to get that all the time in the beginning, but now she has switched over to the fried chicken. We really like Tillie’s shrimp & grits. They are a lot spicier, and a whole different preparation.

1 Like

For those who are concerned/interested, I’ve recruited @paryzer to work on a January HODown at Drew’s…and yes, I’m aware of the fact that it’s football playoff season. Watch this space for updates. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Darn I forgot about this. Good memory curlz!

1 Like

Yes…I am definitely interested! We had a private party at Drew’s and even my non-foodie friends loved the food.

1 Like

‘‘Tis the season I enjoy a meal at Drew’s. I won’t bore you with details besides everything was excellent as usual.

Apps: voodoo shrimp, hot chicken and southwestern Cesar salad, all excellent. (yes this chicken put Grand Tavern to shame)

Entrees: (not pictured) blackened pork chop special (mine), 2 shrimp and grits, veal schnitzel. All were excellent much to my surprise the pork chop was cooked through to well done, pure white (unlike the trendy medium/pink center pork) and still juicy. The schnitzel really surprised me as I had a bite, the serving size was 2 large pieces and not pounded paper thin, more resembling a chicken cutlet yet it was tender and delicious.

Great night!!

4 Likes

The southwestern Caesar salad is a huge favorite of ours. We always have it. However, with the recent situation re: romaine lettuce, I have to say that, sadly, I wouldn’t order it now and probably not for the foreseeable future. I’m actually surprised that Drew is serving it.

Mrs. P & I were there too last night. I’m sorry I missed you @NotJrvedivici We were there very early though (since we have the big ride home). I’m sure you arrived later.

We had another great dinner at Drew’s on Saturday night. Besides the usual excellent broiled oysters and fried chicken, I had a special of seafood lasagna with crawfish and crab, in a vodka sauce, which was real comfort food. Drew also very generously comped us with a delicious mussel dish that had spicy red Fresno chilies. We also had a very refreshing early winter spinach salad with baby spinach, frisee, spiced walnuts, dried cranberries, granny smith apple, crisp country ham, and sharp white cheddar in a cane syrup vinaigrette. Below is a split portion. The pork chop & veal schnitzel dishes looked excellent as well, & I was very tempted to try either one of them.

Since it was a busy Saturday night, I was only able to talk to Drew for a couple of minutes regarding a possible future HOdown. I gave him a tentative date of Saturday January 26th. He will call me after the New Year so we can further discuss and plan menus. I will send out more details after I talk to him in a couple of weeks. So anybody that is interested, please save the date. @CurlzNJ graciously agreed to take names and tally the total number of people that are interested. It would be nice to have an idea of how many people can actually commit to that date so I can have a number to give to Drew and work out the menu. Since Drew’s is a fairly small restaurant, the most he can probably accommodate on a busy Saturday night is about 10 to 12 people. However, he is open to an earlier seating prior to the big Saturday night dinner rush (maybe 3 or 4PM). He might have to impose a time limit, since Saturday’s are busy. I would think we might need up to 3 hours to not feel rushed (since many of us will be meeting for the 1st time). Unfortunately Drew is not open on Sundays during the winter months.

I look forward to meeting all of you HOs for the first time:smile::smile: Enjoy your holidays and have a Happy & Healthy New Year!

4 Likes

Eli, Darn and double darn! You managed to pick a date when we can’t make it! You really should offer a few options to determine when the most people can come.

Sorry you can’t make it, Roz, but in this situation, offering multiple dates simply isn’t an option.

I’m sorry that we’ll miss this HOdown, but fortunately for us, we’re not far from Drew’s and can easily go on our own.

Wow, it looks like I missed a good night out! I’m glad you fellas had a nice meal there. I wish I could have some of that chicken today watching football :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just called and Drew’s is open tonight! I’m so excited!