Don't Call It A Survey - Monmouth County and all NJ

Hey HOs!

I have an idea for a new place to eat, probably in Red Bank, but elsewhere is fine too. I want to get a food hall together, but on a small scale. I’d like four stalls, each selling one food item (maybe two) and a communal eating area where you can sit and eat. I still think a chili parlor would be a good start for one of the four stalls, but I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts. Am I crazy? (obviously, but I mean about this one thing ;o) Would chili work? What kind of food would you like to see in a local food hall?

1 Like

Haven’t been in a while, but they have something like that on the Boardwalk in Asbury Park, south of the carousel. Thought it was pretty cool. I was thinking that concept would work at the large space in Long Branch’s West End that always fails.
The equipment and separate hoods would be the biggest cost obstacle.

1 Like

I believe they are trying to do something similar to that in Bell Works in Holmdel. I went after hours a week or two ago and it sounds kind of like what you are describing. The website isn’t very informative but here it is: https://bell.works/shop/

2 Likes

They have a Poke place, and acai bowl place, coffee store, ice cream, pizza place, breakfast place, lobster roll place

1 Like

Just spitballing… when I think of a time where a large number of people are eating chili, it’s at a ski lodge. I think it’s more of a wintertime food, and we are a “summertime” destination here… I don’t see chili being a big draw for that reason.

1 Like

Th3 Bell Works space is run by RBC Hospitality…I know that because I’m on their email list (I want a job in that bldg). Ma bbe worth checking it out!

1 Like

Bahn Mi
Homemade bread for purchase…or,
Soup served with a bread of the day
Dumplings to go
Waffles and ice cream (which failed in RB)
Riffs on french toast
Classic eggs to go…from sandwich to quiche

I think your best bet is to find a town that is loyal to local food makers but not saturated by dozens of food shops already.

2 Likes

I am also very interested in working in the building (5 minute commute!!!) I have been following iCIMS for years. The building is really cool and ENORMOUS. I want to check it out when it is open to the public. I went after nearly everything was closed last week for the fireworks.

2 Likes

Someone grilling SIMPLE burgers over a charcoal fire in 1/2 a 55-gallon drum. Small, fast to cook & serve. Toppings - on the bar “over there”. Second item could be a steak sandwich on some of that bread mentioned elsewhere. Simple; fast; inexpensive and peerless when done right.

1 Like

You know what? You can put it in some place like a mall, maybe outside the movie theater and you can have something like a Burger King, Salad Works, Subway, Sabraro, Japanese / Mall Sushi, Vacant Location That Changes Every Year, Japanese Hibachi Place, Chick Fil A and Nathans!!!

Honestly though, what you are thinking about is just an “independent food court” for lack of a better term, correct? I would tend to agree with Joon in I’m not sure a chili place would be the best year-round draw, however a soup place that offered hot and cold (gazpacho) could be. You could theoretically come up with a gazpacho chili I suppose.

Wasn’t that what the spot across from RBC in Red Bank was for awhile? It was called “World Grill” or something, offering all kinds of different types of food?

It’s an interesting concept.

2 Likes

In CA, there are a few churchs that support this sort of idea. In exchange for kitchen and stall space, not to mention a community of customers, your biz leaders support the church in a volunteer capacity.

The vendors rotate space every three months working from a roster of 20-40 food vendors and rotate volunteer support as well.

1 Like

The website, First We Feast, under the direction of Justin Bolois should give you food for thought. His “beat” covers food warriors on both coasts.

2 Likes

Asbury Park has a new food collective… JUST. SAYIN’.

Also yeeeeessss to Banh Mi!

1 Like

True Boadwalk fare and downtown food explosion! But would it work if they were say next door rather than two diff ways/sections of town for enjoying a meal?

I still think there are towns in NJ dying for a food enclave. What tends to happen is a few towns explode then implode over saturated and not enough towns give what this thread proposes a shot.

RD, AP, Westfd, others you all obviously know about now compete or close due to soooo many choices on the same block.

my 2 cents of course.

2 Likes

Bahn Mi does sounds good.

I would like noodle shop or dumpling shop - Pho or Ramen or Cantonese wonton or XLB

A good taco place.

A good coffee / dessert cafe type place.

2 Likes

PhoLe made some fine dishes but their bahn mi was really awful and the one time I tried a bahn mi at the large Asian grocer in Marlboro/Manalapan while priced well was really uninspiring.

There has to be a NJ bahn mi master out there making exceptional sandwiches! Where in NJ do I need to go?
The last time I went to Chinatown in Boston and the sandwich was so good I took 30 mins to devour it👍.

2 Likes

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/07/19/629629261/carne-asada-hold-the-meat-why-latinos-are-embracing-vegan-mexican-cuisine

I find stuff like this very inspiring food wise.

3 Likes

I really like Baguette Delight in Edison. No ambience but very good bahn mi for very reasonable prices. I usually pay the charge for extra meat.

3 Likes

No website but under their address is a menu. If those prices are current, they make a very reasonably priced bahn mi.

Thank you, Edison is not far from where I live. Gives me an excuse to hit Little India on my way home.

2 Likes

Fwiw I get excellent banh mi in the back of an Asian grocery store when I visit my dad—in W Palm Beach FL. #truth

1 Like