Don't Call It A Survey - Monmouth County and all NJ

Do they ship overnight? :grin:

1 Like

I second this recommendation (Baguette Delight in Edison).

1 Like

Wow, I could probably write a book on this. I think the key is to think outside the box. What is not that complicated, but would be a little more unique than what rb has to offer now?

Cheesesteaks…there you have it my friend. Make a decent cheesesteak and they will come. If you want to take it a step further, do fat sandwiches. There are none to my knowledge in rb (At least not any that I’ve heard of.) Name it “not Geno or pats” …hell I should buy that domain right now!

If you did chili, I wouldn’t make it strictly chili. I’d do a dog stand and offer different types of chili dogs and other hotdogs. Yes rb has hotdogs but be different and offer different chilis, cheeses, mustards, relishes, etc. Think dogs meet more sophisticated/varied topping variety.

Lobster rolls would be a cool idea but again, it’s kind of seasonal like chili. We can’t seem to really get this right in nj.

Other ideas…be the soup nazi. Have daily soups like our friend on Seinfeld.

Thanksgiving stand…turkey sandwiches and the fixings. I’ve never seen a dedicated one or truck like this. I’m sure they exist though.

Definitely not tacos. @ycf04 there are lots of good tacos in rb and there is even a surftaco (not a fan, just saying I think there is too much competition.)

Fresh guacamole stand? Avocado seem to be the rage nowadays.

A crazy french fry stand where you can pick out what type of fries, what oil/lard (think duck fat) then choose your cheese/toppings?

Pretzel stand with different cheeses and artisan mustards.

Korean hot pot or kimchi joint?

It probably would never fly since not that many people have tried them, but a stuffed cabbage joint would be insane. My uncle makes the best cabbages and I have always wanted to open a food truck serving these things. The problem is they take so long to make and are really labor intensive. Picture making BBQ but you have like an hour of prep work before you even start cooking the rolled cabbages. Not an easy meal to prepare.

2 Likes

The bakers from Netcost make some incredible items that I don’t see anywhere else around. Eastern European bakers with a flare for the dramatic presentation. I wonder if the owners would consider branching out. Sold by the slice and handheld takeout.

1 Like

I’ll be first in line at the stuffed cabbage joint

3 Likes

Dumplings

2 Likes

Soup dumplings
Empanadas

2 Likes

http://www.toastsocietycafe.com

Las Vegas concept…amazing where avocado toast has progressed to.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this a lot, @seal and I have to say that as sad as it is, I do think you have to focus on a) what we don’t have in the immediate area (like Banh Mi) and b) what the masses will go for (like cheesesteak)… A close friend used to own Amazing Hot Dog up in Verona (and it WAS amazing–house-made toppings included)–but even that went under in 2008 when the economy tanked. Suddenly paying $4-5 for a really good 1/4 lb dog was out of reach for many. Just things to consider.

For me, chili wouldn’t be a draw, but some of these other ideas certainly would be–and I like the idea of a soup spot, too.

One of my biggest food complaints since moving down here is that I have to travel 5 miles for a decent DINER around here. It’s not as far away as good Szechuan is for me, but when you’re in the “I don’t feel like cooking so let’s just go to the diner” mood, it’s too much of a trek. And of course a good diner has a little bit of everything!

1 Like

We’d be more than happy to do the cabbage rolls & polish food. Making cabbage rolls is easy compared to making a zillion pieroghis.

3 Likes

Love all the ideas in this thread and that’s making me sad - how 9 times out of 10 a restaurant trying to do something different just can’t last. We’ve never had a Cheesesteak shop make it around these parts. No one knows what a banh mi is… I mean ramen is bleeding edge cuisine here.

Maybe just to one stand that does cheesesteaks, banh mi, soup dumplings, empanadas and stuffed cabbage! With an option to top any of those with chili. :laughing:

I still stand by my million dollar food stand idea though: an Indian Chipotle. Same exact format as Chipotle but with Indian ingredients.

2 Likes

Ever been?
http://indikitch.com/menu.html

2 Likes

Finally made it to this happy place. Ordered three house specials and a bunch of bread to make bahn mi at home. Thxs for the headsup.

2 Likes