Do You Trust Your Spouse/Partner To Shop For Very Specific Groceries?

My dh is only sent to the store on his own for a specific item when there is a last minute need. He’s an engineer and knows the importance of specs. I try to be very specific since a large grapefruit at one store may be totally different size than at another. So I show him size expected, etc. I also try to tell where exactly he should look for an item at the target store. And finally, I send him off with the famous “Call home, ET,”.

1 Like

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

My aunt once sent her husband to the store for capers. He returned with kippers!

6 Likes

Agree with you @Happybaker about cellphones being a total game changer; however I’ve had problems even with multiple calls from the store sometimes…asked him to get me a brand name 100% corn oil bottle, talked to him on the phone, etc. He came home with 2 separate bottles of oil, neither of which was right. It IS possible the crappy market he prefers may not have had it. I’ll have to look next time. Had to teach how to select fruits & veg too, especially avocados. He’s taken on all the grocery shopping and cooking since I’ve been sick since Xmas day, so I’m just very grateful for what he does after a 12 hour workday including a long commute in our bad traffic up here. It’s supposed to be 2nd worst in country now.

3 Likes

That is awesome! Horrible for your aunt but, awesome funny : )

This is an oldie but a goodie -

1 Like

Oh absolutely! Sounds like that is the case. And you are braver than me to, when sick, teach your spouse about selecting fruit and veg. I’ve tried to train my husband and he’s doing better but when in doubt? I tell him to just get the frozen veggies or? Stand in the produce section and look confused. (Someone always comes over to help.)

Yikes, a long commute in traffic after a 12 hour workday? I hope he doesn’t get sick too! And may you feel better soon! :crossed_fingers:

That’s right, coming home with several versions. Same here!! Sometimes, the products are fresh produces and can’t be frozen. Yeah, you are courageous to teach when sick. Mine doesn’t want to listen and insists he is right! LOL!

1 Like

The 12 hour days include the long commute, he works 8-5, but sometimes he’s on the road 2+ hours. Each way. He sometimes leaves at 5:30 am to make it to an 8 am meeting, and even then he is sometimes late. He manages a large department too, so things are pretty high stress. I am starting to feel better, but found out today I have to infuse IV for 2 more weeks at least. Hoping to be done before our trip to San Diego, but I’ll still be infusing. I just hope I can eat some wonderful fish tacos and Mexican food. SD has a vibrant Tiki bar scene, so would like to enjoy a couple drinks with a pu pu platter too!

2 Likes

Oh @naf, that is funny. And frustrating. You should have seen the beater avocados he used to buy, also cukes that were mushy on one end. Berries with no aroma, thus no flavor either. I have also helped many befuddled looking men trying to find stuff in stores…

1 Like

Man! Wow!

So sad about your husbands commute and his stress. Hope he has great audiobooks or radio for the drive at least!

Dang about the IV and your trip. On one hand - how wonderful you do not have to be in the hospital, how great you can do this at home. Truly. On the other hand - drat! Sometimes there is nothing better than a great paired strong drink with special food. I hope that works out but if not? I am just happy you are here and able to travel. And eat!

1 Like

Thanks for the sentiments @Happybaker! I’ve had a couple cocktails on two occasions in the last 2 weeks. I have noticed that I want to eat after having a drink, so guess that will be my strategy in SD. Won’t be hard, especially with the friends we’re meeting there lol :joy_cat::joy_cat:

H is hooked on Adam Corolla’s podcasts, so that helps him through the commutes. The only problem is he comes home ranting like Adam does. I have to tell him Dude, stop it, you’re not Adam Corolla. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I suspect he has call sheets for the drive.

Big no. He might get what I send him for, but he will come home with so much expensive stuff that it’s not worth it!

3 Likes

What are call sheets @Auspicious?

:laughing::laughing::rofl:

The saving grace of white collar workers with long commutes. Whether you do it yourself or have a secretary or assistant set them up, it’s a plan for phone calls during the drive. My last corporate job my secretary would send me home each evening with a two column list - left side was scheduled calls, just like meeting appointments, and the right column were other calls I should make to fill in. I had a call sheet for the drive home and another one for the drive back to work in the morning. Now I do them myself and use calendar reminders on my phone so I just touch the number and it dials. This does tend to extend your commute a bit because sometimes you have to pull over to take notes. Regardless it makes the time productive and billable.

2 Likes

Actually my aunt was laughing really hard when she told me about it!

@jackiecat - she’s a keeper!

Man :man: This thread is hilariously sexist.
I know it isn’t supposed to be comedy, but otherwise I’d be PO’ed.
I think this is why I’m single.

2 Likes

To your point about not having to be in the hospital @Happybaker, yes, I’m so thankful for that! Before I was set up with a midline for home infusions, I’d have to go to the Urgent Care/ER for my daily dose. It usually took between 2-4 hours each time, including the drive over.
Just a few years ago I would have been an automatic admission to the hospital for my condition. I think since the advent of MERSA and other superbugs, I’m much safer at home. Plus I’m not getting exposed to a lot of sick people everyday.

So anxious to be able to shop again and cook! Haven’t made anything since Christmas Eve except popcorn. Time to be back in the saddle!

4 Likes