Do you still post on Chowhound?

It describes Chowhound perfectly.

It used to be blue (before the site redesign). Right after the redesign, it would “beat” for 3 or 4 beats before becoming filled in. It’s now the godawful orange that is used on the banner for the site. And in doing a test, it now seems to beat only once, and then turn from an orange-outlined heart to a filled-in orange heart. Took them long enough to realize the beating heart was frustrating.

From the Incredible Edible Egg thread you responded to a few days ago, @Midlife :
BEFORE:

AFTER:

OK. Now that we’ve got the details worked out, I know what you mean.

I used both sites for a while but eventually stopped bothering with Chowhound. Now I only visit if I have googled something and a promising search result from Chowhound comes up.

2 Likes

Nope. While I did voice my opinion of the new CH, I wasn’t banned. I tried the new format for 2 or 3 days and it was obvious It wasn’t going to work for me so I requested my account be closed. That was the end of CH for me.

That’s cuz they have a really good moderator over there.:smile_cat:

1 Like

yes. hated the CH redesign but mostly ignored the exodus, other than it was obvious there had been an exodus. funny to see many names I recognize here from the top chef threads of the past.

1 Like

No, banned for life. I did get a chance to express my feelings to the constipated witch that banned me for trying to alert CH friends about the HO. Now CH matters to me about as much as what’s in the bowl before I push the handle. :imp:

2 Likes

NO. Not banned, but no longer liked the vibe there

I got banned the final time by “Georges.” I came back at him with full-on vitriol. That felt good :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember we were all chatting about this and that and you were getting ready to go on a destination vacation and then you just seemed to vanish. At first I was worried that something happened to you but not too long after someone let me know you were OK but no longer posting on CH.

Yet you started a thread about CH. Maybe you care more than you think.

3 Likes

I started that because someone replied that they thought as many as 75% of the people here are on CH also. I was rather astounded by that and it seems not to be so. Rest assured, I’ve been off CH for so long that except for threads like this I rarely think of them. Except there are a couple of recipes that I can never remember the particulars of and have to look them up every time. I don’t spend much time thinking about the past.

wee bit of been-there-had-that-done-to-me advice . . .
copy off such recipes to a text file on your own computer. it’s not hard.
URL’s go away, evaporate, close.

I signed up for CompuServe in the late 1980’s. there were Forums with hundreds (cooking, gardening, etc) to thousands (political flame forums) of messages per day. hundreds of users posting and thousands of lurkers per day. I was keeper of the logs, I wrote the data analysis programs, it’s not my imagination, theory, or speculation.

CompuServe committed suicide; AOL blew itself up. universal near free total access to the Internet (aka the WWW, aka World Wide Wastebasket) changed the entire landscape and “forums” indeed are no longer a major player.

for today’s generation, anything that requires scrolling down on a 3.5 inch screen is irrelevant to their existence.

You’re free to username me, since it was me. I’m not going to walk back my initial assertion that much. Of the 30 participants in this thread (a very small sample of Hungry Onion users), 13 of them say they still post on Chowhound at least occasionally. Of course, that’s closer to 40% than 75%. But! It excludes the participants on this thread who can’t post because they were struck with the ban-hammer - who knows if they’d (you’d) still be posting on CH if that hadn’t happened? And knowing what I know about how the interwebs work, people are far, far more likely to pile on with negative comments (see: digging own grave, dead to me, jackboots) than positive or even neutral ones.

Not a problem. I guess I just use myself as my own example. I’m just really not into redundancy. So I wouldn’t be posting in both places.

Yes, that makes sense. I post different things to different places, which is my way of avoiding redundancy. A good part of my day is spent rooting out plagiarism, so it would set a terrible example (for me, to me) if I were to plagiarize myself.

I tried to get the attention of Florida Hound, one of the posters.
Rat bastards would not let me respond to his posts once I
requested he contact my by email…strangest
thing…Too bad because I was planning to visit a friend in Boca
and wanted FH to join us for a meal or two…we all grew up in the
same neighborhood in Westchester.

I was stopping in to read the site feedback board for an occasional
chuckle but it’s gotten pretty redundant at this point and I have
plenty of other sources from where to obtain a headache…

1 Like

I just replied to a post there because the newbie annoyed me

I think it may have been removed