Do you still post on Chowhound?

Please disregard … I think you were referring to the NYS board

I was… I’ll.have to check

Sorry let me clarify… I was reading the site feedback board
and did not see anything…
your comment is still on the NYS board

Got it!!

Can I reply here??? Looks like you only posted 18 hours ago. I signed up for Hungry Onion about 2 hours ago, actually. But I am going through some extensive health problems and currently staying close to home (apparently for the foreseeable future)… Boca is about 4+ hours away, so we will take a rain check. I am in central Florida, just outside of Ocala. Where are you living now? When you get back to Florida, send another shout-out and we’ll see if it can work out. Thanks for thinking of me. I will look for your posts around here.

2 Likes

While I’m sorry you’re unwell – we’re damned happy to see you here.

1 Like

glad to see you made it on over!
(MCF)

I don’t post that much on Chowhound anymore but I still lurk and check out any posts that look interesting. One thing that I like a lot better on the Onion is that people interact and there are less “one post wonders.” On Chowhound I see a lot of people making a post and then drop off the radar. People take the time and effort to respond to the OP and then you don’t hear “boo” with respect to how the person made out with the advice posted. No " I got back from Timbuktu and tried that restaurant you recommended, it was out of this world" or " thanks for all the advice on what kind of stinky lunches to take on the airplane. I went with the Limburger and liverwurst sandwich. Managed to get plenty of elbow room."

1 Like

Presented in the FWIW Mode . . .

I just lurked on CH. It is 6:45 pm on 3/26 as I write this. No one has posted on the wine board in 9 days. Beer, Cider, & Sake? 16 days. San Francisco Bay Area? Much more active, with three NEW threads in the last 24 hours, and eight replies to threads made within the last 24 hours. However, a) some of the replies were to threads started as long as two years ago; b) that is far less than it used to be. London has only received two posts within the last 24 hours, while Los Angeles has four – again, far slower that they used to be . . .

I am banned and 90% of my comments since about CH are absolutely negative. Mostly directed at one person I might add.

I will also say that even if I wasn’t banned, there are simply too many difficult things I HAVE to do during a routine day. Trying to navigate that new CH format is a difficult thing for ME & since I am NOT REQUIRED to do it, I wouldn’t.

A simpler was of stating it is there are far to many simple ways to amuse myself, why include one that is a PITA.

1 Like

As an aside, I’m very involved on FB which gives me many subjects to learn about. And I also share some food things there. While I love cooking and dining, it’s not as important to me these days as it once was. Let me rephrase that. It’s not as important to me to share it here. I want the site to do well so I’m trying to post more but there’s so much to do :slight_smile: And I’m retired!

1 Like

Glad you made it out of the Gulag.

This place is great, floridahound.

ever since the Putsch I pretty much stopped looking at CH with an exception here and there.
Moreover, I’ve lost my “appetite” for following the food scene. It’s not as fun anymore.

3 Likes

There’s truth in the old saying that retirees are usually so busy that we don’t know how we found time to go to work.

4 Likes

Just out of curiosity I posted a topic on CH the other day, and did the same here. I have had no responses on CH at all. Here I got one, but it was on the New England Board which I understand is a bit slower. CH seems dead, dead, dead.

Although CH’s UK/Ireland board has had activity on 17 threads in the last month.

By comparison, HO has had activity on 23. Ten of them are threads I started in the period.

1 Like

This poster put up identical threads, one here, one on Chowhound. The Chowhound one got four replies (and one from its OP) in 12 hours. Here? nada.

Reports of Chowhound’s death seem greatly exaggerated.

I know you are – or, at least you seem to be – invested in the concept that

but no one has ever said it’s a Norwegian Blue.

//////////\

Round numbers for the sake of discussion . . .

If you’re a Formula 1 race car, zooming around at 200 mph, and then – for whatever reason – you can’t do more than 25 mph, someone might indeed (in the non-scientific, vernacular use of the word) say that car is dead . . . even though it’s still on the track, moving s-l-o-w-l-y towards the pits. On the other hand, if you’re a Winnebago climbing up the windy mountain road at 25 mph, getting passed by every other car on the road, no one thinks you’re dead – they know you’re probably going as fast as you can, and as long as you pull over and let other drivers pass . . .

Chowhound was the 900-pound gorilla on the proverbial block, and they imploded. Is it “dead” as in – literally – no one posts, lurks, joins that site anymore? No, of course not, and no one here (or anywhere else) has suggested that is the case. But is it a “shadow of its former self,” with but a fraction of the traffic/participation that the site used to enjoy? Ab-so-f***ing-lutely!

4 Likes

Some boards have definitely slowed to a crawl, like Not About Food and Chains. But Home Cooking and Food Media are pretty busy, as is my home board, Manhattan. Yet that doesn’t seem matter to the posters here who are very invested in their own Chowdenfreude and gleeful about whatever evidence they find, or think they find, that Chowhound is going down in flames. Because if that actually does happen (it probably won’t), it means they were right to leave. I get that. When you feel betrayed, it’s natural to want terrible things to happen to your betrayer.

2 Likes

I agree. I stopped posting on Chowhound as I did not like the new format, and frankly, was also pretty appalled by how the moderators shot down their critics, many of them veteran Chowhounds. But that doesn’t mean Chowhound is dead & gone - there still are quite a few contributors and die-hard Hounds out there.

I’ve made a decision to move on, and don’t see myself going back to CH again. But I had a great time there - 7 years of active participation, and got to know many wonderful people through the years - limster, Howler, Charles Yu, etc. I’d taken part in quite a few Chowdowns in HK, Singapore & London, and they were great fun. I really hope CH will go on - its database is pretty useful, for the time being.

2 Likes