Do You Like Houseguests Using Your Kitchen?

Its been boiling for 2.5 hours. Would it be out of line to offer the slow cooker? To save gas.

FWIW, husband’s family has had patience with me and my “undercooking”. A "dry brine " has become part of the Thanksgiving tradition.

Oh no, may I suggest meditation or deep breathing?? Maybe Calgon, take me away? @shrinkrap. It’s not the easiest thing, but I’m hoping you don’t have to pretend to like dinner…

2 Likes

I’m laughing - but in commiseration, not at you!

4 Likes

I feel your pain, @shrinkrap, there are days like this, just don’t be too harsh on yourself.

Cooking frustrations… Today I heated up a pot and forgot about it on the induction hob, then thinking it was cold, I touched the side of the pot to lift it, I had it in my hand high up in air and realized it was so hot, I wanted to throw the pot away, but my brain stopped my instinct as it would mean breaking the glass top of induction. I gently put it down and rushed for ice. H was nearby, he didn’t see anything and complained about the sound of the pot hitting the glass and only worried I was about to break the cook top…

4 Likes

Glad I can bring it here. It’s being checked on now.

1 Like

How’s your hand @naf? Hate it when that happens, hope the burn isn’t too bad.

1 Like

Thanks @Lambchop, it’s alright. Skin seems harder than normal, a bit grilled I guess, but not painful.

3 Likes

Ouch. Hope it heals fast.

1 Like

Thanks! Christina

The three hour tri-tip actually turned out to be a well-received version of a “Kazuma and barbacoa mix”. For me it brought to mind ropa viejas.

Husband in particular seemed to enjoy it (natch), and even enjoyed the bulgur that went with it. I never would have tried to serve him bulgur.

7 Likes

That was my guess…ropa vieja.

1 Like

Oh @shrinkrap - the things my father has eaten (and “enjoyed”) from my sil that no one else would have ever dared serve him… :rofl::joy: Dad you ate WHAT? (This is still a trigger for my mom, though, so I get your reaction :woman_facepalming:t2:).

On the boiled meat front - I think you’re clearly in some cross-cultural confusion territory now.

You’re kind and generous to have provided a schedule where she can have a free turn in the kitchen. Have faith that it’s just something different rather than disastrous :joy::pray:t3:

Do you have Musa Dagdeviren’s Turkish Cookbook? Have a browse and maybe choose some things you’d like to try - maybe your DIL has a family recipe even. (I have a whole list that I’ve not gotten around to, but I ate at his place when I was in Istanbul and went back to pack food for my flight the last day!)

And you know I’m the longest term offender in history of houseguest using kitchen, so I maybe a tad bit defensive on everyone else’s behalf :joy:. Last night, I was making some treats for the kids (that my mom would usually make for them this time of year) in the afternoon, after it was clear that others had finished making dinner early. I finished the two batches, and had one last set of flatbreads (also for the kids) that I make every couple of weeks and freeze for ease. Sil came in to start making something else. I covered up my bowl of portioned dough, silpat, and rolling pin, and said oh I thought dinner was done - I can just finish this batch after dinner (which is when I usually do this kind of thing). No no no - she says, I only need one burner, you’re not in the way, just go ahead and finish. So I “unpacked” everything and started rolling and gridding. 15 mins later, after she has taken over the remaining 3 (of 5) burners, she laughs and says - now I understand why people have 8 burners! I said - 8?! Never heard of it. In India people have only 2 burners - 3 was a late invention, and 4 is rare! So she says yes but that’s with one person cooking! I said yeah, but the issue is not number of burners :rofl:

So in summary, no one likes someone else being in their kitchen - my mom is prime example number 1, whose kitchen sprawl (and commentary if someone else is in the kitchen - chiefly her daughters - should be written down and commemorated) is extensive.

But I have been lucky to have had many gracious hosts over the years - family and even more so, friends who are now adopted family - who make room, in their kitchens, and more importantly their hearts - or is it more importantly their kitchens? That might be it. :joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

That was amazing. Thank you.

Today is daughter’s birthday, and she is missing “dry pot” from living in New York. I lived there longer than she did, and I know about hot pot, but what is dry pot? She has aso lived in SF, but even that seems inaccessible right now.

I will try to share what she says she orders.

3 Likes

Look up Mala Project or Han Dynasty on Yelp for pics of dry pot.

It’s essentially a story dry with lots of different kind of chillis, aromatics, Sichuan peppercorns, and other ingredients. You can get a single protein, or at Mala Project and others, there’s a sheet to mark off what all you want in a customized one.

Mala Market has single ingredients and kits with all the chillis and things - might be a nice thing to get her - or yourself!

Now I’m missing one more thing about New York. :broken_heart:

1 Like

Will do, but it seems we are having Chick-fil-A for lunch!

1 Like

Love your stores @Saregama, as well as your generosity of sharing all things food related. It can be hard of course, to have guests in the kitchen, but if you can get past it, it’s fun and soul satisfying, as well as a good memory maker.

BTW, speaking of Turkish cookbooks, are you familiar with the Sultan’s kitchen? It’s one of the few I have on that cuisine, but haven’t cooked out of it. Good intentions…

2 Likes

STIR FRY!

2 Likes

This is a screenshot of what she might order.

I asked my sister this question today while we were baking cookies together…she handed me a mop :grin:

3 Likes

Looks like I’m in the minority but I love guests in the kitchen. The more chaos the better, and it’s always good to have some helping hands!

1 Like