Do you have a rotating set dinner menu/framework?

:+1: Thumbs up? I can’t get this on my Kindle, but okay on lap top.
:hugs:

I * wish * I could say that I have a framework, at the very least. My planning generally is centered on the 8.5lbs of fish and seafood we get delivered monthly. I am cooking for two, so this is usually more than enough for the month for meals that lean pescatarian or plant forward most days. My guidelines are, typically, anything that may involve a bit of a project happen (or at least start) on the weekend - stock making, a stuffed item (like squid). On weeks that I really have my act together, I may do as much of the mise en place that will hold for the week on Sat./Sun. I use the weekend to gather what recipes I think I am going to use (for those things that need recipes) and get the groceries ordered and delivered. After that, the rule of thumb is to try and keep it varied so that there is come variance in the type of meal or style of cuisine, as well as type of fish or shellfish (two orange fleshed fish recipes in the same week is not likely to happen and I probably won’t follow shrimp with squid). If I can hit a COTM, COTQ, or DOTQ, I try to work that in as well. So, this week:

Sun. - Tortellini and cauliflower with walnut pesto
Mon. - Stuffed eggplant with peanuts, coconut, and tamarind (stuffing made ahead of time)
Tues. - Shrimp Mozambique with chorizo and mushroom rice pilaf
Wed. - Leftover eggplant
Thurs. - Wild card right now, but I am leaning toward Epis Rubbed Artic Char, because I have some epis in the freezer I can use.
Fri. - Usually delivery sushi.
Sat. - We’re discussing if we will go out somewhere, as it is the last Saturday of my school vacation. Otherwise, delivery again or an excuse to make hot spinach and cheese dip to eat with tortilla chips and adult beverages. Or maybe the pimiento cheese in the freezer. Something. I’ll start figuring out next week’s plans around this point as well.

The biggest thing I’ve learned is “The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men / Gang aft a-gley.” Bobbie Burns fans will recognize that as “The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry”. I am very fortunate that on the days that the meal plan doesn’t seem executable (sadly, more often than not depending on what is happening at work) BF is fine with having (and often paying for) delivery! Life happens.

8 Likes

Kind of? This list is on the refrigerator door for inspiration, ideas, memory- jogging, etc.

I’m still working on cooking through our pandemic stockpile, so I look to the list and then consider what is in the “we bought far too much of X” pile/stack/table/tubs and go from there.

Mostly seasonal with vegetables and fruit. For larger/main dishes, a lot depends on my functionally and the weather: we’re in Southern California, in a house built in 1917, with what seems like non-existent insulation, single-paned windows, no central air, and horrible wiring (can only run a certain number of window AC units plus fans and anything else simultaneously). Also no space for countertop ovens and such and only one working outlet in the kitchen.

So while I’d love to bake, the oven won’t be turned on again until late fall, unless there’s another tropical storm. And no long-simmering dishes or multiple burners going on the stove, either.

I look at the weather forecast and try to do any large cooking projects on a day that is going to be relatively cooler - or get up at 4:30 and cook before the sun starts heating the place.

During cooler times, I’ll cook and bake on Sunday and Monday, as that fits our schedule. I’m also more inclined toward spontaneous cooking/baking when it’s more temperate - especially rainy days!

As we’re renters, there’s little we can do to change things, so we adapt: better than seething, I think. (For all the frustrations, we absolutely love this house, the yard, the location, the neighbors … my partner and I feel fortunate to be here and are very cognizant that it’s unlikely we’ll ever live in such an amazing space again.)

8 Likes

“Beige soup”.

Love it! So many possibilities and opportunities for creativity!

3 Likes

I cook something that will provide several servings/meals.
I eat it until it’s gone or I’m sick of it.
Intersperse with one-offs from the store (e.g. sushi), and the occasional no-leftovers dish.
Repeat. Sometimes freeze portions so I can start another round.

6 Likes

This is the link to the recipe and evolution. Still not a visually exciting soup, but rich, flavorful, and filling.

2 Likes

In the summers when it’s peak tomato season it’s BLT Wednesdays around here. And the timing happens to work well with timing for the kiddo’s swim lessons

2 Likes

I was wondering if the recipe started with one large stone in a pot of water.

3 Likes

OMG. I’d forgotten that story!

2 Likes

I have always wanted to host a stone soup party, but have never had (nor created) the chance. Maybe this winter.

5 Likes

I don’t do themes as much as I have a familiar set of ingredients or proteins in my fridge and so I tend to cycle through many of the same recipes, especially quick ones for week nights. My bi-monthly meat share means I usually will have pork chop, pork loin or country ribs, plus an eye round roast or petit sirloin cut, or ground beef. I will almost always have salmon in the fridge. I always have a bag or two of Chinese greens, and then a pack of salad mix. Homemade char siu, pan fried or broiled salmon (with sides, or tossed onto rice with tea for ochazuke), a small beef roast with chimichurri sauce, various cooked proteins on salads and noodles are things that pop up a lot on my menu. Since I cook for myself, when I make even a small roast, that’s about 2-3 nights’ worth of dinner or office lunch.

I of course eat other things, but I have to intentionally plan to make specific dishes. Usually I find produce or protein on sale, or I have a craving and that becomes a dish I have to assemble my ingredients for. Usually that’s a weekend project.

I also use my meat share to sometimes make bulk foods that I freeze and cook up for quick meals. I almost always have too much ground beef on hand, so I like to make Japanese style hamburg steak patties that I freeze.

6 Likes

How do you make Japanese style hamburg steak patties? I’d love to know!

4 Likes

Same !

We did one at our library one summer! We made sure everyone knew what is was all about ahead of time, started the soup on a little hot plate, gathered 'round and read the story, sang a few songs, read another story and in 40 minutes our soup was done! It was a success! OBTW, the ‘stone’ had many passes through the dishwasher before the event.

I love that book and the story. My dad got a lovely illustrated, fold-out version of the story for the first grandkid, and both nephews loved the story. One of them also had it as a school musical in pre-school, which was as ridiculously adorable as one might imagine.

2 Likes

Great topic!

In “normal” times, I’m not thematic, it tends to be what I’m in the mood for, what’s seasonal, or looked fresh / good at the store. I do then try to plan the next few meals around those ingredients.

I don’t repeat a lot (boredom is a big issue), and try not to make more than two servings of anything (don’t like to eat the same thing over and over, unless I’m down a rabbit hole), but sometimes planning does end up around repurposing leftovers.

However, for a year during the pandemic, we were thematic (by my own suggestion — and after not being and struggling for many weeks): pan-Asian Mondays, Indian Tuesdays, Mexican Wednesdays, Italian Thursdays, Pizza Fridays — more or less.

For these reasons you listed, plus we were an omni household (vegetarian adult, vegetarian kids - preteen and teen, non vegetarian adults) and having a theme streamlined 75% of the meal (veg & carb) as common, to which we could add proteins that worked for each groups of eaters.

It was definitely more boring / less creative (and made cooking more of a chore) than freestyling, but also significantly stress-reducing.

Right now, dealing with a different set of crisis-born constraints, we are back to slightly thematic — as in rotating through broad groups of things people will like / eat / be sated by. As in: Pasta, Pizza, pan-Asian (usually Chinese, sometimes Thai, occasionally Korean-ish), Family Faves (run the gamut on cuisine of origin), Convenience / Takeout.

In normal times, I do keep a list of my own favorites I want to keep in rotation — ideas to look through when I’m staring blankly at the fridge or at an ingredient (eg: what do I do with chicken thighs? stares at package)

3 Likes

I’ve tried a few recipes online, and traditionally the mix is a blend of ground pork and ground steak. My favorite one of the online ones I’ve tried is this version: https://norecipes.com/hamburg-steak-hambagu/
and I’ve since adapted it to my taste.

This is not fully traditional, as they do a mix of ground beef and soft tofu, which I find works really well (imo, even better than pork+beef). It really helps keep the patty moist, and hard to overcook. I actually up the tofu ratio - it’s more like a 3:1 ratio of beef to tofu and I tend to season on my own (not a big fan of nutmeg in meat…). I toss in cilantro when I have it too. The sauce for me is always just a blend of the worcestershire, ketchup and beef broth (or chicken broth if that’s the only thing I have). Works out really well for a quick dinner with rice and a side of veggies!

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Seems fairly similar to Salisbury steaks.

Yes, or as my niece and BIL calls them “personal-sized, mini meatloaf”. I’ve never made salisbury steak myself, but visually it does remind me of them. Since I already season with my own mix, I also add oyster sauce into the flavoring of the patty and not the sauce. The revelation with this recipe was really the blending of tofu into the meat mixture, which I had never considered. It keeps protein up, more moderate in fats, and most importantly adds that moistness so you don’t get the rock hard block of meat if you slightly overcook.

4 Likes