Do You Have a Non Human Kitchen Companion?

Not talking robots here!

I read another food forum but only post here. From my observations only it seems like there is a distinct preference for one type of fur baby over another. I’d like to know if you have pet(s) and if so, to what species they belong?

I have an older kitten that’s rapidly becoming a cat and dog sit an adult dog and young pup quite often.

How about you?

2 Likes

We have 2 Australian shepherds. Only one is allowed in the kitchen right now - the 4 month old pup is crated when unsupervised. The older Aussie is only 13 months old himself but is a large dog, weighs almost 65 lbs. We have a galley kitchen and he’s hard to work around!

2 Likes

We have two dogs, a 15-year old Siberian Husky, and a 16-year old long legged terrier of some sort. Neither one of them have a kitchen “attachment”. They’re there for dinner, or a casual stroll to get to the back door to go out. No other interest on their part.

Our Siberians Mom tho, was crazy for the kitchen. The scents she picked up when we were prepping or cooking meals always drew her in. She was a big dog and would plop herself down in the middle of the kitchen and watch. If something really tantalized her she would crawl on her belly to get closer to the scent. Always in the way, but never shoo-d out. She is missed still, after years of being gone.

6 Likes

We have two large domestic shorthair cats (16 lb and 19 lb). When we brought them in from outside our house in the city as kittens they would jump on the counters and table searching for tidbits (once one even stole the end of my Italian hoagie and ate it). Now that they’re old suburban cats they don’t have much interest in the kitchen, except the corner where their food dish and water bowl are. Our table is in a room next to the kitchen and that they are interested in: Mole camps out at the foot of my chair when she smells bacon; Malgato does the same when chicken is on the menu.

4 Likes

I have two cats now. A 15 year long haired black tabby and a 12 year lilac point Siamese. The tabby has some serious balance issues so is confined to my bedroom (the only carpeted room in the house). So these days I’m the only one in the kitchen.

I’ve had some cats who found my kitchen activities fascinating and some who just found certain food aromas of interest. As long as they stayed out from underfoot and off the counters they were always welcome!

2 Likes

We have 2 adult bengal cats (from rescues as kittens- NOT from breeders!) One is an old lady and one is just barely an adult… he’s a big boy but still very kittenish at 2. Anyone who knows bengals knows they run the house but the only time we have real issues with lack of self control is when a big piece of beef is cooked, especially something like prime rib or tri tip from the bbq- it’s Chacha’s favorite. Enzo prefers chicken. They’ve been trained to come for their food when we make chicken noises.

It’s funny to watch the 7 week old foster kittens in the laundry room (next door to the kitchen,) become more aware of their surroundings- I saw them sniffing the air while I was making dinner. :heart_eyes_cat:

7 Likes

I’ve got to ask: how did this begin? It cracks me up every time I think of it!

2 Likes

Yup, I have two domestic shorthair cats, one male and one female. The girl wanders in any time I bake (pretty sure she’s after the butter), and the boy likes when I fry salami. And both hover when I make roast chicken. So cute, but so annoying.

4 Likes

I didn’t want my cats to know “chicken” because then you wouldn’t be able to say it in front of them but mostly just because we’re twisted and it entertains us.

5 Likes

I have a black and white shorthair cat that decided he wanted to stay with us around 8 months old. I think he either got lost or abandoned by his previous owner. Now he is 7, masters well the fine arts of eating.

For the first few weeks, he always stayed with me in the kitchen and looked intensively at every movement I made as if he wanted to learn everything. Unfortunately, it was short-lived. Now if he wants food, he will queue before the fridge.

3 Likes

I have a year-old border collie mix. He’s small, but just big enough to reach up onto the counter and grab things. He once ate a whole avocado, skin and all. I’ve had to do a lot of puppy-proofing.

4 Likes

Boarder collies are almost too darn smart for their own good! A highly intelligent dog requires more intense work together than I can provide…

3 Likes

He’s the second in my life, so I have some experience. The first one was smart but very sensible. Are you familiar with Gromit, in Wallace and Gromit, and the way he looks sadly at Wallace when W. is about to do something stupid? That was us.

6 Likes

We have two Frenchies (Versace and Bulgari) who are like mini hoovers :smile: They stand in between Mrs. P’s legs and wait for her to drop some food so they can suck it up :slightly_smiling_face: We must have the cleanest kitchen floors :slightly_smiling_face: Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of them in action. We also have our cat Gucci who is also a foodie :grin:

9 Likes

My cat only comes by when the cooking is completed. He has no desire to be a part of the work, just reap the finished product.

5 Likes

I am owned by one pet at the moment … Species you ask?

alien

Zero interest in people food, not worth the required walk to the kitchen

11 Likes

New Yorker Cartoons by MIKE TWOHY

Maybe ideal to have a cat that is dog-like!

6 Likes

Hilarious pic of your Gucci and the chicken…

2 Likes

Thanks Jimmy. You should see him when we have lobster or tuna :grin: He is practically jumping in the plate. He reaches his paw on top of the table.

1 Like

Or he preferred what was being served at your house :thinking::wink:

3 Likes