Do you eat bruised fruit?

Some people I know refuse to eat bruised fruit. Not just the bruised part, but the whole fruit simply because one part is bruised.

What do you do with bruised fruit?

3 Likes

We eat it!!!

1 Like

Cut off the bruised part, if it’s like a hematoma.

4 Likes

Eat whatever is salvageable. If the bruising is minor I’ll eatnit… I’ll trim out badly bruised spots. If theres a lot of damage, it goes in the compost bin

2 Likes

What Sunshine said.

I’m kind of a snob about this so it depends, but typically no.

First I sit my fruit down and calmly and supportively inquire with my fruit how it got bruised. The cycle of fruit abuse starting in 3rd world countries with long standing fruit rights violations for decades. Then when the fruit crosses our boarders the cycle continues with careless produce handlers and and over picky public picking up and tossing back fruit based strictly on visual appearances.

What does this teach our younger generation? Ugly apples don’t deserve to be lovingly eaten? Let me tell you from personal experience a bruised banana is nothing to laugh at, as the matter of fact laughing too hard can further aggravate your bruised banana so this is NOT a laughing matter.

#StopFruitAbuse

12 Likes

NotJR - you do right to highlight these on-going issues. Fruits have feelings too and, without champions like yourself, have no way of fighting back against the abuse. It is one of the hidden horror stories of the modern world. I understand that the United Nations is currently investigating issues around fruit trafficking in several poorer countries. They are, however, finding it difficult to make comparisions between apples and pears.

7 Likes

Lop off the bruised part and eat the fruit.

3 Likes

And I here I thought you were laissez-faire.

1 Like

I’m an admitted bruise bigot. I tend to prefer my fruits are crisp or even have a somewhat fresh and sharp taste to it, so ripe mushy pears…ugh. Bruised fruits tend to be pretty ripe, so I can’t get past the high sugary-ness of it. However, if I am desperate, I would cut the bruise off and eat it. I have to be really desperate though. Spotted bananas? Unless I need to make banana bread, you wouldn’t catch me within 3 ft of one of those.

3 Likes

@NotJrvedivici and @Harters you two crack me up! ROFL

I will cook with fruit that’s past its prime. Compotes and crumbles don’t care, and the extra sugars are a bonus.

4 Likes

I don’t enjoy bananas that are smashed and mushy, but to me a banana with no spots is like carrying coffee in a paper cup, a very small ferret, and your keys, all in the same pocket: i.e. not ideal.

3 Likes

I agree. However, while I’ll discard bruised fruits (and vegetables) I will select bug nibbled and carve out that part. I give deference to bugs in knowing how to choose the best of the best.

4 Likes

You would be the perfect person for me with whom to share fruit. Pass me the unwanted slightly spotty bananas, and I’ll
save you the ones that are underripe for my taste.

2 Likes

A few unintentional experiments have taught me something about fruit flies (at least the ones in my area): They aren’t interested in good fruit at all. I still tend to watch for them the way you do, because they do usually point out the good fruit, but only by accident. They go straight for the rotting fruit every time; they couldn’t be bothered to even look at good fruit. But (for example) when one peach starts rotting, usually the rest of that batch is ready. Really bad peaches are disturbing because they seemingly won’t rot, they just sit there like plastic - and the bugs never go near those.

2 Likes

Yep. I regularly have steel cut oats with cut up fruit for breakfast and riper is better, so whatever I have that is starting to turn the corner is goes in - pears, peaches, mangos, kiwis, strawberries, persimmons, etc.

1 Like

I eat around the bruise, or if it’s a real recent one and the flavor isn’t affected much, I’ll eat the whole thing.

2 Likes

^ This.

I was going to say what you just said, but I put it together all wrong and gave up. If I just bounced that apple on the floor 2 minutes ago, I treat it as if nothing happened.

2 Likes

Degrees of bruising will determine how we use it. Over ripe fruit becomes puree, smoothie, ice cream, gelato. A piece that is bruised badly gets cut out. Slight bruise gets eaten.

4 Likes