Do you choose peppers to grow by species?

From a thread about making my own harrissa.

(Should I make my own harrissa?)

This is a list of Capsicum cultivars belonging to the five major species of cultivated peppers (genus Capsicum): C. annuum, C. chinense, C. baccatum, C. frutescens, and C. pubescens. …

I’m asking because it takes chinenses a long time to germinate and ripen for me, so for me, it’s already a bit late. Looks like this one is annum, which is easier. Perhaps this might be a discussion in the food gardening forum.

I haven’t actually ever bothered to look up what species my various pepper plants are - I’m a pretty lazy gardener to be honest! @WeezieD was kind enough to share some pepper seeds with me last year and I still have quite a few left, so I’ll be trying a few new sweet and hot varieties. I’ll have to look them all up and report back!

No, I don’t since I live in a climate pretty much ideal for pepper growing- a very long season with it being very rare to frost or freeze- they often thrive when it gets very hot and dry. My aji amarillo are going into their 4th growing season, a pot of sinahuisa made it to 5 years old.

1 Like

I almost bought the Tunisian pepper seeds on rare seeds for $4.00, but if it’s not too late, and there are more for “trade” I’d love to know. I don’t bag my seeds ,so they could be crossed, but I have rocotto, poblanos, and various chinenses.

Looks like I still have some but i should do a germination test before I make any promises! :slight_smile:

If you’re willing to gamble, send me your address in a PM.

Done!

Those peppers seem to do well in hot and dry climates; maybe even as hot an dry as it is here!

I think we are “heat zone” 8, with 90 to 120 days over 86 F, and plenty over 100 when warm weather fruit are flowering. My larger peppers tend to do way better when it starts to cool down in November. Here are my Tiburon Poblanos in October.

Wikipedia, geography of…

Tunisia’s climate is hot-summer Mediterranean climate (Köppen climate classification Csa) in the north, where winters are mild with moderate rainfall and summers are hot and dry. Temperatures in July and August can exceed 40 °C (104 °F) when the tropical continental air mass of the desert reaches the whole Tunisia .”

Yes!a