Do you bake bread regularly?

Those look perfect! You did a great job on them. I really like that they are perfectly browned. Too often, people don’t let things get brown enough.

1 Like

I’ve been working through a 4 ingredient naan recipe; trying diff flavors. Its been a delicious experiment.

6 Likes

After much tinkering, I have developed this English muffin recipe. It is easy and tasty. Knead two cups of AP flour with one cup of buttermilk, one cup of sourdough starter, one teaspoon of salt (Diamond Crystal for proportions), and two teaspoons of turbinado sugar. Add flour if too wet. Roll out one half inch thick on a floured surface, cut into muffin shapes, place on a cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal to rise until about one inch thick. Cook on low to medium heat on a bare cast iron griddle or pan.

1 Like

That sounds like a really good recipe… but rarely have buttermilk or sourdough starter hanging around.

I have tried/tweaked a bunch of recipes over the years, but this is hands down the best English muffin I have ever had. The first thing that is really different here is he starts with an overnight preferment. You can use your starter in it, but I can just use instant yeast.

The second diference is he fries them in clarified butter… and if you are like me and don’t like them quite as dark as he does, you can do them lighter and then finish them off in the oven.

I think these two steps are game changers here as they are really the only things not done in all the other recipes/methods I have tried… and the results are amazing!

1 Like

Bread is a main reason I don’t by a nice KA mixer. bread is a bit of an addiction with me. forcing me to kneed and all is the perfect thing to keep it a “special bread” event, as opposed to me making it every day; and blimping up.

I made this recipe a few times last year and loved it. Perfect vehicle for homemade gyros meat.

Frying in clarified butter is great for scones. I prefer my muffins baked stovetop dry, but the holes left enough room for a muffin to hold about two tablespoons of salted Plugra butter. Fat is good.

Same here… For some reason the price of bread at my local grocery stores has really spiked. I know about inflation, but WOW bread has really gone up in price.
So I make my own… I have a few different recipes and I’ve modified the ones I have. Whatever I’m in the mood for… I’ll bake that type of bread.
I keep a big container of “Everything Bagel” seasoning in the pantry and I sprinkle it on top 90% of the time.
Sunshine always eats a serving of hot bread when it comes out of the oven with a generous slathering of butter. I like the heel and she doesn’t, so that works out nicely!!

3 Likes

I make rolls for special events (normally just Easter, T-day, Christmas). I or a daughter make bagels about 3 times a month. I’m making pitas just when I’m having specific dishes, maybe 8-10 times a year. Hamburger buns about 1/3 the time I’m having hamburgers or breaded chicken CFA knock-off sandwiches. I truly despise mass-market hamburger buns but most often fail to plan far enough ahead to make buns.

Regular “bread-bread” (boule or oblong or baguette), about every other week, generally following some recipe or other calling for a sponge starter. I like the extra flavor, sort of sourdough-ish, which I like, but was never good at keeping a real sourdough starter going and felt like I was wasting a lot.

Thanks to Tim & Scott just above for renewing my resolve to try home-made English muffins.

I’ve yet to try this all-rice flour bread that @Shellybean posted (in the Dec22 baking thread), but want to do so now that I’ve gotten around to getting some rice flour and my gluten-free daughter is home on semester break.

I also end up going down the YT “best bread you’ll ever eat” rabbit holes and like trying various Middle Eastern breads. This one is reportedly fairly common in Turkey and was called Pidesi. The finger-poke deformations in this first run weren’t as defined as they were supposed to be but the next time (which I forgot to photo) they were better.

This one was a Turkish flatbread served as a roll-up with fairly heavily herbed/spiced chicken. It was a really good dish but I managed to loose track of the URL :cry:.

3 Likes

Someone who don’t dig bread booty. Damn, you scored with that Sunshine.

I just make naan because I can’t find decent naan, or other flatbread, where I live.
Bread has gone from rags to riches.

1 Like

You are correct… We’ve been together for 11 years, which is more than double my previous longest relationship and same for Sunshine.

Headed to my 25th year with my wife. We fight for bread booty, though. Keeps us young. If she gets to it first, I insist that she “surrender the booty!” Speaking of the bread, of course.

3 Likes

47 years here. I just made her two loaves of “bird bread” for avocado toast. Dense as a doorstop but so delicious. We top the avocado with harissa, a squeeze of lemon, and some Maldon salt. This morning she had a fried egg with toasted buttermilk and comb honey white bread slathered in salted Plugra butter.

Sounds like the pumpernickel bread brick I use for cannibal samiches. Toasted buttermilk? What is that?

What is this?

Answering your question and @small_h 's question.

1). It was buttermilk and honey comb white bread that was toasted.
2). The bread is full of things birds like: flax seeds, pumpkins seeds, and walnuts in a dough of whole wheat, salt, molasses, and yeast.

Interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever had anything like that.

It is very dense and does not rise much. It is 12 oz. of hot water to proof two envelopes of yeast with a little sugar, two cups of whole wheat flour, a cup of white AP flour, a tsp. of salt, a drizzle of molasses, a couple of handfuls of flax seed and pumpkin seed, and a cup of walnuts. Knead, rise, knead, shape, rise, bake 35-40 minutes at 350 F.

1 Like

Thanks!

Gotchya. Sounds great. I love dense breads like that.