Do the eggs have eyes?

The edges of which my husband was told was “bacon”.

I’m with Harters, “crisp” and “eggs” don’t belong together in a sentence or on a plate.

2 Likes

At the hour and caffeination level that I’m preparing my microwave poached eggs, it’s beat for me to have as few steps as possible…

1 Like

I guess you can, but the existential question is should you?

Moving on, of the myriad of names for this dish the one I grew up with was “one-eyed eggs.” This thread must at least give a nod to such.

I found an article with sixty-six names, not one of which was “one-eyed eggs.”

I have one particular wine glass, a remnant from my wine festival days in Virginia, the rim of which makes the perfect size hole. My mother used to just cut a square hole with a dull paring knife. From the article I’m now on the prowl for an appropriately sized, heart-shaped cookie cutter. My wife’s birthday is coming up and I think that will be a cute breakfast. I guess I could do it by hand but I fear for the asymmetry that would likely result.

ETA: Ah ha!

I’m going to have to learn to make cookies from rolled out dough instead of drop cookies.

It also occurs to me that the hearts will make a fun replacement for the ring forms I use to duplicate Egg McMuffins. “Ring form” is a fancy term for “cut the top and bottom off an empty can of Thai red chili paste.”

2 Likes

Or you could use a pot!

1 Like

Freshly laid egg, still warm consumed without cooking. I recall this as a treat that my grandmother gave me when I was a small child. She would pull the eggs out from under the hen and crack it open and tip it into my mouth. The taste of the warm yolk was indescribably amazing.

2 Likes

I prefer them in pasta.

1 Like

Carbonara!

My uncle use to tell me carbonara was Italy’s version of bacon and eggs!!

Carbonara is the ultimate fast quick meal to put together. More often than not, if we have run out of ideas for things to make and are tired of the same choices on seamless and are also too tired to go out, I can make carbonara in 20 minutes.

Fill pot with water and on the stove to bring to a boil. Cut up bacon/guanciale and throw into a frying pan on medium low heat to crisp and render the fat. Grate parmigiano into a big bowl with several grinds of black pepper. Separate eggs and add yolks to the bowl and mix. Pasta into the water. Scoop crispy bits of pork into a small bowl. When pasta is almost done, scoop it into the pan I cooked the pork in. Toss to cover in that luscious pork fat. Then pour into the bowl with cheese and yolks. Toss again and add pasta cooking water if needed to thin to create that creamy sauce made with no cream. Plate and sprinkle reserved crunchy pork bits and top with more cheese. A 20 minute miracle.

5 Likes

Whoa.

Was your grandmother Adrian Balboa, by any chance? :smile:

1 Like

Uncle Rocky’s wife?

Nah, they only had ice cold eggs out of the fridge. Got to be warm from the chicken.

Ha! I was thinking more about the pasta itself, but yes to Carbonara!