do I need a mandoline and if so, which brand/model?

:heart: :heart_decoration: :heart:

And just in time for Taco Tuesday!

Same. I use the mandolin several times a week.

I have a mandolin I picked up at Marshalls or TJ Maxx (discount store) and I break it out make 5-6 times a year. Don’t remember the brand, but definitely not an OXO. Only when I have to do a high volume of very evenly sliced stuff, or if I really need to shred a whole head of lettuce or cabbage. If you want to have one because you don’t want to or aren’t good at doing this by hand, I would suggest getting a small one or a handheld one, and not invest in a super expensive one unless you know you’ll use it constantly. For me, it’s a pain to clean and dry.

That sounds like mine, only it’s black.

I can’t recall when, where, or why I bought it, but in spite of a janky blade, it still comes in handy a few times a year. Thinly slicing fennel bulbs comes to mind.
There’s a box of other blades somewhere, but I can’t remember the last time I saw it.

1 Like

Hmmmm… I’d like to see the data supporting that. I’ve never cut myself with the mandolin, and have lost track of cuts with a knife. Of course I use a knife more often, but I am more vigilant with the mandoline.

ETA Now I am imaging your friend is in the entourage of a troop of famous sous chefs. :grin:

Still, I am going to look for my glove, which I actually bought when I started shucking oysters.

I couldn’t find anything from a medical source just yet, but there’s this

1 Like

I bought my Benriner when I worked in professional kitchens and I loved it, now that I’m retired from the “life” I still use it occasionally, potato gratin, julienned vegetables etc, but I use my knives for everything else. I doubt I would have bought one if I didn’t need it for work. I’ve nicked myself with it on a few occasions when I was working quickly, but I’ve also done that with knives, so…

This is why I think people cut themselves with a mandoline.

It’s easy to get into a slicing rhythm with a mandoline, and for the mind to drift as a result of that rhythm.

if you don’t use the holder / guard it comes with, it’s not hard to get close to the end of what you’re slicing and not realize it :flushed:

I bought a glove, but have never used it. I use the holder, and if that gets inconvenient with a good bit of vegetable stub left, I’ll switch to a fork to hold it.

3 Likes

That looks like a well loved/used Mandoline!
Just a side note.
You should have that Blade sharpened it will perform much better with a lot less force(= Safer).

1 Like

My friend is commenting from the perspective of time spent as an ER doctor and a home chef. I’m sure there’s no “data” but he did say “if someone hasn’t cut themselves it doesn’t mean they won’t”.

I’m sure he was just erring on the side of safety but at least to my eye, wearing a glove costs nothing and provides protection., so not sure why I wouldn’t. I wonder what’s considered best practice in restaurants today.

2 Likes

I use both the guard and the glove with mine, particularly as it is getting duller. Totally agree about the rhythmic nature being potentially dangerous. It shouldn’t be relaxing and yet…

2 Likes

I bought my Cuisinart mandoline more than 15years ago and have used it twice. Purchased because I really REALLY wanted to make waffle fries, then realized after trying them that I don’t like the slicing or the frying process. It sits at the back of a cupboard, behind the potato cutter/french fry maker that gets used a lot more often.

1 Like

I bareback it for thicker cuts like zuke planks, but I def use the guard for potato gratin.

2 Likes

Ah, here’s a product opportunity: design a better guard/guide. Most totally suck, and the suckage is a direct cause of cuts.

1 Like

Are you saying you or someone you know has been injured while using the guard?

I just used my v style mandoline today for the first time in months to make Oklahoma onion burgers. I used the guard and it gave me a (perhaps false?) sense of security.

I had one, too and I gave it to a friend who coveted it. I stick with my v slicer now.

Never cut myself on a slicer … but I did buy gloves.

Onions in copious amounts for bagels (and hamburgers) is the thing I love my Borner V Slicer for the most. And cucumbers.for cucumber salad. Mass quantities, evenly produced. I can do it with a knife, just not as perfectly.

2 Likes

No, I’m saying that many guard/guides are so clunky and uncomfy, that people don’t use them, and therefore get cut.

They also don’t work with thinner things like carrots and cukes. My one serious cut was slicing cucumbers for a salad bar.

2 Likes

This is my workhorse. I’ve had it for 20+ years. What I like about it is that it make short work of making waffle cut veggies. I always use my cut proof gloves despite the excellent slicing finger guard (partially shown on the left). The slicing guards are the most important features of a mandoline.

2 Likes