Disliking "likes"

On the one hand, isn’t it cool that you can track yourself and others in such detail? On the other hand, :grimacing:.

4 Likes

Wait, you can track other people’s activities like ‘forks given,’ etc., too?

A feast for obsessives (or terribly bored) foiks!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s how I linked to your “likes.”

Well now yer creeping me out (having just watched baby reindeer).

j/k

Don’t invite me over without locking your medicine cabinet, just sayin’.

5 Likes

You’ll find my alternative selection of meds (gins and MMJ) far more intriguing, trust.

Fork you. Just fork you all.
:laughing:

7 Likes

Bahahahaha. Love it.

I was a Realtor way back in the day and some of my colleagues put marbles in the master bedroom medicine cabinet during Open Houses. They make a rather noticeable noise when people opened the medicine cabinet.
Or so i have been told.

2 Likes

:rofl: Genius.

1 Like

I 've heard that medicine cabinet ploy claimed many times before. I wondered if it ever actually happened, and how it could actually be set up.

4 Likes

I never did it at first because i never had anything stolen from a home i held open.
And then two kids i thought were with the couple they arrived with apparently stole muscle relaxant meds from my clients. Or someone else did.
I was furious w whoever took the meds and disappointed in myself for not preventing the theft.
But i never stacked marbles in a medicone cabinet.

1 Like

I’ve heard about this done as a prank, with ping-pong balls.

On another of the Discourse-run `sites I visit, there was one very caustic dude who was forever “like stalking” so he could complain about people liking others’ posts but not his.

This drove a pretty large number of people to make their profiles private, so that the guy would have to do it manually - clicking on every individual post to make his record of likes vs being able to see a user’s full set. Only a relative few here on HO that I’ve noticed seem to have private profiles, which I see as a credit to both the community here and the moderation, as someone like Mr. Caustic would have gotten suspended here right quick.

The only reason I go to someone’s profile is to be able to search their comments when I recall they’ve put out a particular recipe but can’t remember what thread. But that no longer works (what I mean is, limiting a search to that one member, from their profile page, stopped working a few weeks back), so I just go to the advanced search page now anyway.

1 Like

Sometimes I wish our location was in the profile so the poster’s viewpoint and regional identity was present, but on the whole it doesn’t really matter.

2 Likes

You can if you wish (at least, the functionality is still buried in there, but I haven’t tried it myself (* - see edit - it works)).

Go to your profile, click on Preferences. Once you do, in smaller print will show “Account/Security/Profile” etc.

Click on Profile, then scroll down to location. Type in any recognized city and let it autofind, select it, then scroll all the way down to save your changes.

I think very few people use this (looks like about 42), but if you check out the users map tab you can look at members who have done so.

https://www.hungryonion.org/locations/users_map

ETA - I’ve temporarily listed my location as the capital of Tanzania, for no particular reason (quote attributed to F. Gump).

If you click my avatar, the location does show up. [ETA for any follow-on readers, I’ve removed my location pin again now.]

I also now show up on the user map.

2 Likes

:sunglasses:
I had no idea, along with almost everyone else :wink:

2 Likes

Digging a little deeper, very few of those 42 have more than just a few minutes “reading time”, so they’re basically one-offs who popped in then didn’t come back. And in some cases marketers, or a suspended spam acct.

2 Likes

The tutorial bot on this iteration of Discourse is better than some (much better than, say, the SDMB), but it doesn’t dig into stuff much.

The main reason I dug to find the location feature is because two of our more prolific folks do have a location pin displayed if you happen to click on their profile. But then I forgot about it and had to dig again prompted by your comment.

1 Like

Interesting, because on the old Roadfood site location was all important since we were talking about our travels in search of regional delicacies and treasures.