Dishes from your Family

Iceberg lettuce! I love,it, and am so excited when I see it at a farmers market. It can be so flavorful.

We didn’t eat it at home, but I loved wedge salads when we went out to eat.

2 Likes

Me too. It’s great from the farmer’s market. We have a farm stand where I live that always has it.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of iceberg lettuce too! I think it gets a bad rap with people preferring their romaine and other more “leafy” greens, nope not me! Break me off a cold crisp wedge of iceberg and I’m a happy man. A “traditional” wedge salad with blue cheese, bacon and tomato that’s a meal right there!!

4 Likes

I love it with Russian. Or better yet, have you had the bacon Russian from Chop’t?

What’s chop’t?

My mom used to make a salad with Belgian endive & canned mandarin sections in a sour cream dressing with lemon and lots of pepper. I still make this salad, tho I’ve made some changes to the dressing. She also used to braise Belgian endive with lots of butter, lemon juice & pepper, which is something I often make for myself for a quick lunch.

Other than that, I can’t think of any dishes I make that are based on my parents’ cooking.

1 Like

This place http://choptsalad.com/menu/

1 Like

It’s a pick your own ingredients salad place here in the NY area.

1 Like

We must be related… My grandmother’s brisket is baked on a bed of carrots and onions, and covered with ketchup before baking (no water though). When I make it, I do it the day before I’m going to serve it. That way I can lift off all the fat, slice it, and reheat the slices in the sauce. Great minds!

Where did you spend your youth, Bookwich?

Always make it at least one day ahead!!! Great minds indeed!

Makes it so much easier to slice, improves the entire dish IMO, flavor wise and the texture of the meat improves with the reheat. I too use wine,beef stock and tomato paste.

2 Likes

It’s funny looking back that my bacon loving grandma didn’t do that actually. Always just that thick layer of mayo she had barely finished beating the crap out of in her glass bowl with the whisk that was older than me.

1 Like

Iceburg is underrated! Honestly that’s what lettuce was for me growing up and i buy it often for summer salads yet feel i should be ashamed…! I eat rather obscene amounts of nutritious veggies so I indulge my iceburg love at home, not often on menus when eating out anyhow. (Unless it is a wedge salad and since i don’t eat bacon or blue cheese that seems kinda pointless to order)

3 Likes

I’m OK with this thread being a virtual confessional booth.
Indulgent eats and family are one and the same for me. Confess your food sins, my family.
Secrets are safe with us, :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll start a new thread as I’ve decided they’re different enough.

1 Like

No potato soup in my household. But kielbasa and onions or sausage and peppers with onions were a nice change of pace meal growing up. I still do sausage and peppers once or twice a year when the craving hits.

1 Like

My Mom could not be called a Kitchen Diva. But she did have Meatloaf & broiled potatoes down to a science. I married a sweetheart who duplicates that meal very nearly exactly (just not enough times in the year).

3 Likes

Yes, we ate that too! I forgot about that. But the soup helped stretch the sausage, especially when my brothers would unexpectedly bring a gaggle of hungry latchkey friends over after school. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

We had potato soup and we had kielbasa with green beans and red potatoes, and in fact I still make those, but sausage and potato soup, never.

1 Like