Discussion: Most Underrated Kitchen Tools and Most Overrated Kitchen Tools?

it is aggravating . . . if retail stores wonder why Amazon is crushing them . . . they need to reflect on the impact of ‘not carrying things in stock, anymore’

I use small bowls for (mostly) mi-en-place. as time goes by, some die unfortunate deaths and the number available dwindles and jeesh there’s no finding ‘a couple more’

when I can’t stand it anymore - I get some new ones and toss the old ones - which (apparently by design) do not fit/nest with any of the new stuff…

just bought these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C36Y74N4

1 Like

I know it’s a tangent, but it’s not the small stores’ fault. They are victims of much larger forces they can’t hope to counter.

I found a place on ebay, they sell them individually. Would that work?

https://www.montessoriservices.com/small-glass-bowl-2-dia

I can appreciate this. Preparation bowls can organize and prepare for cooking.

1 Like

I love those for prep

Yes, I concur that mise en place small bowls can come in handy. Never bought any though. I now just use porcelain full white non-transparent small bowls from my general serving ware collection. I think I bought these for serving desserts lol. They have been around in my kitchen for 20 years.

When I just need to collect very small amounts I just use my cutting board, and put things separately in corners for example. This is how I make tartare de boeuf at home, cutting up very finely shallots, cornichons, capers, and parsley. No need to get four bowls dirty here…

that’s not ebay but yeah that might be just the ticket.

We have some from World Market. These are 3" in diameter and nest together but are not graduated sizes.

https://www.worldmarket.com/p/clear-glass-stackable-prep-bowls-4-pack-606900.html?store=store363

1 Like

Mostly, I do what Damiano does and mound prepped items on my cutting board. I also have a set of small Arcoroc glass bowls purchased years ago, which are suitable for mise en place and snacks too. But the exact bowls I have no longer seem to be in production. They come in a number of sizes so do check the capacity.

That said, would these Libbey glass bowls work for you? Our everyday drinking glasses are Libbey and quite sturdy.

1 Like

my old ones were arcoroc too.

it’s easy to find sets of small bowls these days, but impossible to find graduated ones, which is what I had :frowning:

1 Like

Aha, now I get it. Maybe these Duralex bowls?

I only want tools that suit the way that I work in the kitchen, so I hear you loud and clear.

No it is not, I wonder how I got from ebay to there. A mystery.

1 Like

I once bought a large graduated set of Duralex. Looks were imposing and beautiful.

The reality was they were hard to un-nest, and I didn’t use many of the many sizes.

Then I donated every other size bowl to a church program for new immigrants. I STILL had more sizes than I needed.

I really wish now I hadn’t bought the set. I’dve been better served by buying 3 or 4 each of the most-used sizes.

1 Like

That’s what I have - multiples of some sizes. However, the stack is cool looking, I have to admit.

2 Likes