Discussion: Most Underrated Kitchen Tools and Most Overrated Kitchen Tools?

Thanks, boogiebaby. I use parchment, too.

(Why are you not a fan of Silpats? I have not used them, and I’m curious.)

They are good if you are baking something that could stick to a non-slick surface, but I hated washing them, and I felt like they collected dust when I stored them. It’s just easier for me to use parchment. but again, I’m not a heavy duty baker.

I have half-sheet pans too & I use them all the time. You can buy pre-cut parchments for them in 100 or 1000 lots too. I always use a parchment - even if it’s for something other than baking - like Lasagna. Makes clean up way easier - just toss the parchment.

Under rated, me. Over rated me. Depends on who you ask

1 Like

Thanks.

Scotch is overrated

1 Like

Funny.

Depends on the scotch

The kind of Scotch facing a sun is overrated. :thinking:

Over rated or over heated?

I just got silpats, a generic brand named Update International not the “real” ones, and I prefer them for some things and parchment for others. I’ll have to bake with them more to say for certain which is better for what. I definitely like the silpats better for egg white-based things, like macarons. It’s odd because I’ve read that some people like parchment better for meringue-y stuff. Also, I find cookies are spreading less with my silpats, but from what I have read, it should be the opposite. So this is a lengthy way of saying I don’t know (yet).

I have three brands of sheet pans: Bakers Mark, Volrath, and NordicWare. Bakers Mark is by far the cheapest. They used to be called Thunder Group but they realized they can sell more if they changed the branding (that’s just my assumption.) It can be found at restaurant supply stores for super cheap. Volrath is about equal in quality to NordicWare, which means they are good. I bought a NordicWare from Amazon and it looks the same as what I see in Walmart, and both places have it for $10. The issue with Volrath is that water collects under the rim, whereas thus far I haven’t had this problem with Bakers Mark or NordicWare. However, Volrath sells a super heavy gauge, NSF-certified version that doesn’t need wire reinforcement in the rim (so no water collection worries), and this is what I would buy if I ever have to replace any of my pans. All three are good, though, and much better than nothing. Bakers Mark was my first, it cost just $4, and I can’t say yet if the others really perform better or if it’s just a psychological thing.

Costco has a 3-piece set of NordicWare – 2 half sheets and 1 quarter sheet – on sale right now for $13. The only issue is that it’s their “prism” line which has a textured surface. These are a pain to clean. Even if you line the pan, something inevitably leaks through. Ignoring that, for the way I bake, I wasn’t convinced. E.g., I like my cookies to have browned bottoms. Fortunately, Costco has a great return policy. Costco also has a 4-piece set by Tramontina – 2 half and 2 quarter – for $18. They feel solid, but I have had such bad luck with Tramontina, I passed. However, a lot of people are very happy with Tramontina items.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed response.

Catching up on some old threads since my dreaded global systems project is over, and have had fun reading all the entries here.

I had this very same thought yesterday about my food processor. While it’s great when I use it, I rarely need to make such large quantities of sauce or other things that require me to lug out the hulk of a machine and to risk slicing my fingers off when I clean up afterwards. I have a handheld blender and this serves my need 90% of the time when I need to mix/chop/blend for a sauce. It’s also easier for getting that right texture for my soups.

My only advice though? Haul it out for the gazpacho, and avoid cleaning up bits and pieces of vegetable bits from your kitchen counter and stove. That was my lesson learned yesterday afternoon.

Blockquote
Overrated (for my kitchen):
Food processor. A knife is easier for the quanties that I usually am cooking. Most years I’d be surprised if I use it 3 times.

1 Like

The food processor is great for peanut butter.

I love it for pie crust.

2 Likes

I’m throwing down the gauntlet: I think the sous vide immersion cooker is overrated. I like it, I use it, but it doesn’t warrant the adulation it receives. I can’t believe there was a time when homecooks paid a thousand dollars for one.

2 Likes

Updating my post about half sheet pans. The restaurant store BakersMark pans warp easily and are not in the same class as NordicWare or Volrath. Volrath still gets water stuck underneath the rim, where the edges wrap over the wire reinforcement. So NordicWare is the winner right now. It warps under very high heat, but given I don’t have to worry about drying it well, I put up with that small issue. The larger (big cookie sheet something or other) from NordicWare warps way too easily so I returned that one.

Edit: but even the BakersMark is better than no half sheet pan and it still gets plenty of use.

Interesting note about the NordicWare sheet pans. I have a giant one that I use for roasting my spatchcocked turkey, and have never seen it warp. Maybe temps not high enough or the 14lb turkey sitting in top really helps! I’ll have to keep an eye on that.

Not really a “tool” but this silpat discussion made me want to post

Pam spray with flour - I used it for the first time yesterday on a bundt cake pan, which I have buttered and floured for years… I’ve never had it pop out of the pan like it did with the spray. I’m afraid to look at the ingredients now but wow it worked.

4 Likes

Restaurant Depot’s house brand of baking spray is excellent & 1/2 the price.

Fair point. Use microfiber!