"Disappearing" Chinese Cuisines

Inspired by @Chemicalkinetics post, I was thinking about how certain Chinese regional cuisines actually have come and gone in SoCal over the past decades due to changing tastes and immigration patterns, especially as a friend and I were mourning the recent loss of Shanghai Restaurant from Focus Plaza due to the major renovations taking place there.

What cuisines are less represented than they used to be? What restaurants do you still miss? Any good “replacements” that have entered the scene?

I’ll start:

Hunan – there used to be a lot more Hunan restaurants throughout the SGV, but many of the larger ones have closed over the years due to various economic factors and changing tastes. Where are the better examples these days?

Shanghai Restaurant [140 W Valley Blvd Ste 212, San Gabriel] – while never in contention for any Michelin awards, I always enjoyed my meals there and appreciated that there was a restaurant serving more Shanghai-style food in a nice, sit-down, family banquet-type of setting. I found their Stir-Fried Rice Cakes w/ Pickled Cabbage (read: pickled mustard greens) to be one of the better renditions in the area, and their Pea Shoots House Special with mushrooms, salted egg yolk, century egg and bacon was just as good as their Lamb w/ Celery, Scallions, Chili and Cumin. They will be missed!

Dalian Small Stone Restaurant [ [7637 Garvey Ave, Rosemead] – this one was only around for a few years in Rosemead and gone by mid-2015, but I still remember their Sauteed Pork Kidney with Chili quite fondly. Dalian cuisine doesn’t seem to have much representation in SoCal.

Best Noodle House [9329 Valley Blvd, Rosemead] – So this one is technically still there, but it’s a very different restaurant from when it first opened and was being operated by the mysterious woman who kept leaving and returning before apparently flying the coop for good. The original chef left and opened Chong Qing Special Noodles in nearby San Gabriel, but it wasn’t quite as good as the halcyon days of Best Noodle House’s initial months.

101 Noodle Express [1408 E Valley Blvd, Alhambra] – Another one that’s thankfully still around (along with a sister location in Arcadia), but there used to be 5 or 6 locations throughout SoCal at one point, including a location at the Fox Hills Mall food court in Culver City! Now down to 2 locations after the Irvine and Monterey Park locations have also since shuttered. Hopefully they can continue to survive post-pandemic.

3 Likes

Yeah. A long time ago, Szechuan cuisines was even ranked this high. Shadong 魯菜 was the head of all Chinese cuisines. Now you will have a harder time to find it here or China.

2 Likes

“Come and gone in SoCal over the past decades due to changing tastes and immigration patterns,”

I might get broiled alive here or completely ignored . Either one is fine by me. Could it be that more and more Hispanics are moving in and opening up shop? Therefore tastes are changing in SoCal. I prefer Chinese food over Mexican any day of the week. Only a thought demographic wise. Nothing against either parties. But has one driven out the other? It’s an honest/valid question.

1 Like
4 Likes

I’m confused… I don’t understand what you think Hispanic people have to do with the relative prevalence of different Chinese cuisines?

The changing immigration patterns I’m referring to are specifically those pertaining to Chinese cuisine – Taiwanese immigrants led to the christening of Monterey Park as “Little Taipei” decades ago, and many Hong Kongers arrived in SoCal in the 1990s. The past 15-20 years have seen a lot of Mainland Chinese immigrants, along with a dramatic shift from Cantonese to Mandarin in the predominant written and spoken languages at area restaurants. Along with this demographic shift, many Taiwanese and Hong Kong cafes have given way to Sichuan restaurants and Hot Pot joints.

Oh, another restaurant from memory lane: Uncle Yu’s Indian Theme Restaurant [633 S San Gabriel Blvd, San Gabriel] – Where the hell did all the stinky tofu places go?! Another void.

3 Likes

I was thinking more about one regional Chinese food replacing another regional Chinese food, like all the Szechuan/Sichuan Chinese food and the hotpot shops.

3 Likes

California isn’t and hopefully never will be Texas.

at least here in NY and I assume other metropoli hat I understand isthere was a lot of post WWII migration from non-communist elite communities, from all over China but also through Taiwan. When I hit NY in 1969, there were quite a number of very good Shanghai restaurants in addition to the prevailing Cantonese style. Most of these disappeared, although there was another Shanghai style boom maybe 20 years later, think soup dumplings. There was a gradual influx of cooks from other communities - we had a Hunan boom in the 70s- and then Szechuan and other regional styles became more prevalent along with Hong Kong Taiwan etc. I dont think any cuisines are dying out per se, but immigration patterns and tastes in the chinese community are resulting in a different mix of stuff presented. Successful restaurants get imitated, etc.

4 Likes

@Chemicalkinetics realized I used the identical words to you, LOL

2 Likes

Yes! Those first few months when Best Noodle House had just opened I must have gone 3 or 4 times. That chili sauce on the mouth watering chicken has haunted me for a lifetime now.

3 Likes

Are you talking actual cuisines, or just restaurants?

Cuz, from your post you mention places like Best Noodle House and 101 Noodle Express, both of which offer cuisines (Taiwanese foods, noodles and/r non-Taiwanese noodles, buns/baos, dumplings etc.) that are still extant, if not thriving.

While others like Shanghai Restaurant – are still prevalent in SGV and in the OC.

And there are still many Hunan restaurants in SGV, incl. Hunan Chili King, Hunan Spicy Taste, Dong Ting Chun, Tasty House, etc. And for the kids, there’s always Tang Dynasty.

2 Likes

Some of Column A, some of Column B. It was more of a comment on changing tastes and/or trends, which could include both larger cuisine representation as well as the shuttering of long-time restaurants or local chains that were once very trendy or popular.

1 Like