Dipping sauces for French fries

Marsala ketchup and HP sauce, not at the same time though. And as retrospek said, well made crispy fries are best with just S&P

1 Like

It’s usually fries with just Heinz ketchup for me. Sometimes I’ll eat fries without anything, especially if they’re seasoned fries.

You might try this. It’s pretty good. https://www.mayakaimal.com/products/spicy-ketchup/

1 Like

There was a time within the last ten years when Mom’s McDonald’s self-order kiosk offered small containers of guacamole for some chicken [?] sandwich [but no longer]. Although she never had us order the sandwich for her, she dunked her fries in the guacamole. Tasty. The good ole days.

2 Likes

This is my favorite!!

Patatje oorlog is the Dutch for “war fries” and sees them topped with mayo and peanut based satay sauce. In the Dutch speaking part of Belgium, I’ve had them where there’s also a line of ketchup (and chopped onions). Delish .

5 Likes

A few pubs in Toronto offer fries with British-style curry sauce, @ipsedixit , if you’re coming to visit any time soon. The Caledonian on College St has it, off the top of my head.

Butter chicken fries are available in Toronto.

I like War Fries, featuring peanut sauce. (I know, mentioned above, I wanted to point at the thread)
War Fries

Not so much dipped fries, topped fries in Toronto
Poutine, War Fries, Greek Fries, Disco Fries, Shawarma Fries, Kimchi Fries , and other Fancy Fries in the Greater [Toronto] Area

2 Likes

When we order praram long song for takeaway from a regular spot, the Thai peanut sauce is packed in container to dump over the beef and spinach at home. There’s usually enough left over for other off-menu “applications”.

2 Likes

I grew up with having mayo only with fries, despite the popularity of “pommes rot-weiß” everywhere in Germany. I always found ketchup cloyingly sweet. I’ve grown to like it more & it’s now my go-to dip (mayo & ketchup, that is) if I’m having fries with a burger or similar sammich.

With souvlaki or other Greek foods: a squeeze of lemon and a shake of oregano will do it for me, no sauce needed.

With fried fish or fish n chips: tartar sauce and/or malt vinegar are the logical choices.

With steak frites: béarnaise, au poivre, blue cheese or dark beer sauce (or whatever the French place I’m having it at offers) will do it for me, as does garlic herb butter.

In Amsterdam only, preferably coming down from a happy mushroom trip: oorlog aka war sauce, which is Dutch fries with mayo, peanut sauce, and chopped raw onions. A perfect welcome to the realms of reality.

Not a big fan of ranch, and I don’t tend to have fries with any dishes that require gravy.

Absolutely.

1 Like

Dijonaise–Dijon mustard and mayonnaise.

I like the sound of that chip shop curry sauce.

A few years ago I stumbled upon a mayo/plain yogurt blend (about 80-20) mixed with curry powder and minced fresh tarragon as a dip for steamed artichokes. Turns out it goes well with french fries. Other than that, not much of a dipper.

1 Like

I like Red Duck spicy ketchup if I can find it or else Heinz, also mayo with horseradish.

1 Like

Ketchup only for me growing up in greater NYC & still my pref though I have branched out. Seems to me that vinegar wasn’t even in Diners there in the 60’s. Wasn’t 'til I came to ME in '70 that I noticed vinegar on every counter.

I like mine plain, with salt. As a teenager I went to Brittland and was introduced to fish and chips so yay for malt vinegar, in modest proportions. Sauces or ketchup - ok, I’ll dip a little, but please don’t just pour it all over my fries.

1 Like

Never pour on. Always dip. Who wants soggy fries?

2 Likes

You don’t find that too sweet?

I like both - sweet potatoes and honey mustard - but not sure as a combo though

Is that lunch date?

I promise I behave in public.

I even use utensils. Sometimes.

2 Likes

Blue cheese salad dressing. Great on regular fries, SPECTACULAR on sweet potato fries.

Also horseradish sauce (the prepared type that is basically horseradish mayo) or, ideally, a 3:1 combo of Arby’s Horsey Sauce and Arby’s Sauce.

Malt vinegar emulsified with just a touch of mayonnaise to help it cling to the fries.

Ketchup is an abomination.

3 Likes

I checked and it opens at 4 pm. You let me know when you’re in town and I’ll invite the Ontario HungryOnion family to join us.

I certainly don’t want them. But there are folks who pour on the ketchup like it’s fudge sauce.