Dining advice for august - Montreal / Quebec City

Fortunately(or unfortunately) It’s practically next door to my rental apartment, so… :smiley: Last time I was in Montreal I went at least 3 times, love staying in the Plateau.

1 Like

Apparently there are 2 types of Kouign Amann in Brittany.

I’ve tried the Kouign Amann version from Kouign Amann in Montréal maybe 3 times, and it was than most laminated-style, personal size versions that are popular in NYC and Toronto, but not as good as my first Kouign Amann in Brittany.

I had a better Kouign Amann in Montréal, at a restaurant that no longer exists, which was called La Porte Rouge. The couple that ran the restaurant sold their Kouign Amann at some farmers markets after the restaurant closed. I haven’t heard what they’ve been up to recently.

I haven’t been to Montreal since Nov 2019, since I’m unable to travel, so I don’t have any current recs.

I love that laminated style of KA, better than anything I’ve had in T.O

I’ve stopped chasing the dragon, after maybe 60 attempts since my first KA in 2008, in Brittany.

wondering, have you tried this one? Its been on my to-do list for years now. Its not for individual pastries but a single cake

1 Like

The first one I tried was a slab cut from a big Kouign Amann.

The version at La Porte Rouge was also the bigger type.

I’ve never tried to make it.

Here is a listicle for Kouign Amann in Montréal from last year. https://tastet.ca/en/lists/the-best-kouign-amann-in-town-where-to-find-them/

Le Palais Breton is a new place I have not tried. Looks promising.

Edit: it was Restaurant La Porte, not La Porte around, that was a restaurant owned by a Breton C couple. La Porte Rouge was a bar, not related.

I found Thierry and Pascale Rouyé, who ran La Porte. Their restaurant La Table des Gourmets, that they run with their son Maxime, is located north of Montréal on the way to Tremblant, in Val David. Kouign Amann with apple is on the sample dessert menu.

Steve;
Thanks for the recommendation. That was not on my radar
–John

Thanks Saregama;
I recently read through the last few Montreal threads, that’s how I knew about Adonis (was that YOUR response…?) . Sounds good. Do they have a store in Quebec City as well? what do you recommend there? Is there seating so you can grab a meal and sit at a table?

Charles;
Thank you for your very informative response. Looks like I will be splurging at Taniere. I kept researching other tasting menus and remembered your posting about Taniere and decided to pull the trigger. I will probably cancel my Joe Beef reservation due to poor reviews. Croquembouche looks amazing. I am trying not to overplan and lock us down too much,but wanted to get some things reserved sooner rather than later. Do you recommend Creperie Le Billig over Breizh Cafe?

Breizh, Montreal… ( but then cannot compare with Breizh Paris, since Bordier butter used by the latter is hard to beat! 0

Hello everyone,

Just chiming in:

• I haven’t noticed any problems with Joe Beef last time I went (last december) but they are very touristy and have a tendency to be expensive / high profile although Le Mousso is even more expensive I believe. When I go I usually go to “Le Vin Papillon”
  • I was in Quebec Recently and was lucky enough to get a reservation at “L’affaire est ketchup” and it was fantastic. I’m hearing great things about Buvette Scott (one of my friends went and was raving about it). Heard good things about Tanière too
  • My favorites Kouaig Amann is at the eponymous store on Mont-Royal. I tried my other ones and none really hit the spot.
  • If you are located near the Sherbrooke metro Mamis Clafoutis has good pastry. One thing I like to do from the Sherbrooke station is walk to Mont-Royal and go down Mont-Royal from there.
  • Accessible on foot is L’Express and Café Myriades on Saint-Denis, Romados (portuguese chicken), Café Névé, Le Co’Pain d’abords (another bakery), Au Pied de Cochon, Ma Poule Mouillée (another portuguese chicken shop), La Banquise (Poutine 24h/7) on Rachel, La Vieille Europe (if you like shopping it’s a cool european store), La Librairie espagnole (for Spanish things), Schwartz (Smoked meat), Ripples (good ice cream), Big in Japan Bar (great speakeasy style bar - careful, the door is well hidden!), Hof Kelsen (another bakery) on Saint-Laurent… Mont-Royal has a few things: Beauty’s (a diner), Kouing Amann (the bakery) and Point-G (Macarons)
  • I’ve heard great things of Au Pied de Cochon’s seafood tower in the summer if you can get it
  • Bouillon Bilk has a great reputation - try Cadet, their younger cousin, for great food at a bit lower price!
  • Mon Lapin was founded by the people behind the original Vin Papillon!
  • Adonis is nice but it’s essentially a very good levantine super market. I would try the Sharawama! There is usually seating to eat in Adonis. In Quebec City I would go to their “Atwater market”, which is “Le grand marché de Québec” but I don’t know how easy it is to get there (last time I went there by car)
  • I love love love Candide and it is also a great deal!
2 Likes

Keep an eye open for the opening of Sabayon. Patrice Demers, ex-owner of the closed Patrice Pâtissier, is opening a restaurant. He and his wife, Marie-Josée Beaudoin, were recently in Brooklyn at the Fulgurances branch, doing an “incubator” project & I really loved what he was churning out of that kitchen. We made a note to look for the new place he said they were opening “soon” in Montreal & now see the following:

We are very excited to announce the upcoming opening of Sabayon, a small 14 seats restaurant in Pointe St-Charles. Honestly, we didn’t think we would go back in business that fast but, we found the perfect spot on rue Centre.”

I believe that he’s good friends with the Candide folk and spoke highly of them when I mentioned that it was one of our highlights when we visited Montreal.

1 Like

4 decadent dayz in Montreal

Thanks Captcrunch;
Your choices seem solid and help to reinforce my research. I looked in to “Candide” but I am looking to replace my Tuesday p.m. Joe Beef resy and they are not open then… heartbroken (or maybe I replace APDC with “Candide”, hmmm). Do you know the reservation system for “Candide”?. It looks like you have to set up an account with DINRx Somm. It is not my first trip to Montreal/QC, but I am having difficulty deciding which places to revisit vs. trying a new one. My last time I loved L’Express, Breizh Cafe, Kouign Amann, Atwater Market, Marche Jean Talon, Damas. I will keep working my way through your list and see what seems like a good fit for me. Merci!

I think you can reserve through Resy Montreal or just go straight through google. A lot of restaurants seem to be using Resy these days. You can also call, you never know… you might get lucky. I haven’t been to APDC in a while.

I don’t remember Breizh Café but my favorite Crèpe Bretonne spot right now is Spanel (mostly because it’s near my house).

L’Express is a hard place to replicate because the vibe and the architecture is so special. I like Monarque as a big french bistro. Le P’tit Plateau is nice because it’s a “Bring your own wine”. Lemeac is a classic. Places that vaguely rings a bell but that I haven’t been in a million years are “Au Petit Extra” and “La Chronique” (I can’t vouch for those - it’s been too long).

“Le Molière” by Mousso is on my radar as another potentially good french brasserie but I haven’t been yet.

If you liked Damas you might enjoy “Alep” or “Au Petit Alep” (their bistro version).

Let me know if you have any other questions!

3 Likes

Had a wonderful, albeit expensive, Asian dinner at Jatoba the other evening. Located in Phillips square, downtown Montreal, each dish surpassed my expectations. Truly a memorable meal I can’t recommend highly enough to others.
My favourite creperie for many years is Spanel on Notre Dame in Griffintown which is quaint, run by a gentleman from Bretonne, and all the crepes, savoury and sweet, as well as onion soup and breakfast have been been a hit with whomever I’m enjoying with.
As a life-long Montrealer I will always and forever swear by Schwartz’s for a true taste of hot fresh smoked meat and by St Viateur bagels sesame or poppy (none of this all-dressed or cinnamon raisin). NOTE: First-timers must try bagels hot and fresh, straight out of the oven.

1 Like

Thanks for these tips, @Captcrunch! My last trip to Quebec apart from an overnight couple trips to Gatineau in 2022, and 4 days in Montreal in Nov 2019, was a road trip to Quebec City, Malbaie and Ste Agate 4 years ago.

I have always had good luck at Joe Beef.

I hope to check out some of the places you’ve mentioned on my next visit.

I typically buy some sesame and some poppy, and when I have time, from both St Viateur and Fairmont.

1 Like

Toquè remains one of our must-visits in Montreal. Lunch is a good value.