Dim sum in Alameda

Pacific Lighthouse is great for dim sum. And the view that overlooks the yacht harbor is stunning. There is an added bonus, ample free parking. Each time we visited, the menu dim sum was fresh and tasty . A rudimentary knowledge of the different kinds of dim sum is useful. However, there are plenty of accurate photos from which you can select to try.
Although we did not sample the tray dim sum, it did look enticing. We order their signature dish, French style baked BBQ buns. It’s yummy. I also recommend the scallop siu mai,
sticky rice & chicken in lotus leaf and the shrimp rice noodle roll. Their bean curd roll is one of the best in town. All delicious. Their baked Portuguese egg custard tart excellent, but there are many other desserts that are also inviting. I plan to return to try the Pan Fried Lotus Root Cake and Daikon Puff.

Pacific Lighthouse
1051 Pacific Marina
Alameda, CA 94501

Thanks for the report. I have been wondering about this place.

By French style, do you mean like this?

This Place is in Alameda not Emeryville correct?

Yes. Alameda!

Yes. Very similar

Ah- I haven’t looked around the dim sum scene lately. Is this type of bbq pork buns popular in the Bay Area now?

HK Lounge II serves an excellent version of your photo.

I agree. The HK Lounge II crispy baked bao is still tops. But French Style baked bao at Pacific Lighthouse is very good. It was better than the bao I tried at ChinaLive.

How did you feel the service was? Price vs. quality? I live in Alameda but have not checked out Pacific Lighthouse, as early reports complained about truly terrible service and high prices for food that was only average. Your post will finally push me to check it out for myself.

The service was fine each time we went. We ordered menu dim sum came which came out in a timely manner. The dishes were all freshly prepared and very tasty. Our waiter came around to refill our water glasses and teapot without being asked. And you can’t beat the fantastic view of the yacht harbor at Pacific Lighthouse. The prices are comparable to Imperial Seafood Restaurant in nearby Concord.Try it, I think you’ll like it.A

Really appreciate your response! I will definitely investigate and report back.

We find dim sum places to be variable - perhaps inevitable these days. At any rate, DH and I went Fri 9/15 and were not impressed by Pacific Lighthouse.

Liked the lo bak ko and two different scallop dumplings, all three quite good.

DH likes sweet/salt more than I do, but he felt char siu bao was ridiculously sweet. It has a lot of gravy, which if you try it by itself is as sweet as any Smuckers jam you’ve ever eaten. He gave it thumb’s down.

Har gow and siu mai average. Potstickers were awful, tasted like they dumped leftover fillings from everything - pork, shrimp, beef, chicken - then gave it two quick turns in the wok and dumped it on a plate.

Steamed beef balls were light in texture but tasted like they were one-third grd chicken and two-third grd beef. I liked them whereas I don’t usually care for them. Hong Kong-born DH again did not approve.

Shrimp in rice noodle roll was awful as well. Bak fun was definitely thicker than usual, plus it was oversteamed so mushy and limp.

Spicy chow fun rolls…weren’t. Lacked soya and chiles, just bland and browned.

Steamed pork ribs were actually done properly: coated/marinated, dow see added, then steamed. Unfortunately two negatives: I loathe the cheapie cheat of sticking taro underneath to make it look like the little dish is full of pork when it really isn’t. And it wasn’t steamed long enough; almost but not quite, another 5-7 min would have done it but they didn’t.

Singapore chow mein had good flavor but char siu was in big shreds, not smaller slivers (it’s traditional to match the meat and noodle thicknesses more closely) and DH found the pork “hard as a rock”.

Shanghai XLB were juicy but not as flavorful as our fav places.

Overall: big menu, clearly aimed at Chinese families and special events. Noodles were decent so we might come back to try some of those dishes and maybe the scallop dumplings again.

Service: big thumb’s down. We have a bad tendency to be careless about reading the bill, but when we got home and checked it, it looked very suspiciously like they had charged us for an extra dish we did not order (I had written down what we had, for my Yelp rvws) that was in the higher-priced category.

Tea: we requested jasmine and got cheapo floor sweepings. Really mediocre quality.

Also: if you can’t speak Cantonese, don’t even bother asking the servers any questions. None of them spoke English. Ordering is done by marking menus; trays that came around only had a few items, like boiled chicken feet and roast duck, et.al.

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate. My experience was much different than yours. No complaints about the service on the weekdays. Were they super busy the day you went? We always order the Shrimp rice noodle or Har gow to judge the freshness of the dim sum at a restaurant. Each time, these 2 dishes were fresh and tasty at Pacific Lighthouse. We never tried their Potstickers or Spicy chow fun rolls. Thanks for the Singapore chow mein comment. I think we’ll try that along with the French Style Bake Pork Bao and Scallop dumplings next time.

Nope. Maybe half-full, at most. Went back to take a look at my notes and I forgot 2 items we also ordered:

• Octopus and seaweed salad. Not worth it, you can make this at home yourself. It’s canned red-cooked baby octopus and the same gomae wakame salad you can buy at most Asian markets.

• Chicken wings. Dusted with flour and curry spicing but no salt. Overfried and tasteless.

I can forgive the service issues. But fraud is hard to condone. I won’t be trusting them on the bill next time.

I went with a large group recently and my experience was similar to Lethe2020’s, though I’d describe it as a positive for
East Bay dim sum. The siu mai was no better than average, but all the fried items were quite a bit above average. The BBQ dishes weren’t standouts–we got duck and pork belly, but everything else was within range of what I’ve had recently from Peony or East Ocean Seafood Alameda, at similar or lesser prices with a great view, and with better churn of fresh items from the kitchen.
Which is to say, I haven’t had great dim sum in the East Bay, but this place certainly makes the list of better places, and has a nice view.