Difference in cast iron composition?

Hallo all.

Heavy use of raw cast iron cookware for some time have made me wonder.

I rotate between 4 difference frypans in cast iron. A lodge, a skeppshult, a Ronneby Bruk and a stur pan.

I have so far bin of the impression that all cast iron are the same, and that the difference would be in casting and finish. However…

For some reason my skeppshult and STUR pans are faster and more reactive on my induction cooktop then my lodge and Ronneby Bruk( even though its thinner) the heat is also a bit more even.

So. Can you guys educate me a bit… was I right in assuming cast iron is the same in all cookware. Or are they quality difference in cast iron too.

Kindly
Søren

1 Like

America’s Test Kitchen did research on cast iron skillets, it appears there are differences.
Source: Cast iron

Personally, I own a 12" Lodge and a 10" Victoria. I do like the Victoria better, but I have no issues with my Lodge. I found the Victoria a bit smoother and easier to clean, but the differences are minimal (in my opinion). If I have a larger job, I’ll reach for the Lodge, smaller job goes to the Victoria.

I also have a Cuisinel braiser that I use for bread baking. I just don’t like this pan. It’s (kind of) hard to clean and (although, I have seasoned it many times) it still isn’t as non-stick as my Lodge or Victoria.

I’ll probably demote this braiser to camping duties and pick up the Lodge Combo Cooker for future bread baking.

Each Cast iron maybe different. There is information on the internet explaining the different compositions. In North America there are television shows documenting the different processes…Metalurgy.

ETA; engine blocks are made from cast iron. There are many magazine articles regarding this. when I was planning to rebuild an engine, I was advised to look for “5” stamped on the casting, it was the amount of nickel. It was considered high. Added strength? Maybe helped the blocks ability to handle heat. Maybe less corrosion.

Cast Iron is a whole Class of Alloys.

How Ironic.

I always just figured it was elementary that an element was an element, my dear Holmes.

Outside of trace impurities, of course.

matter

1 Like

I watched this whole thing (unrecommended). They allude to lighter cast iron pans, but claim that’s because they’re thinner. No more analysis than that.

There are, of course, different “alloys” that are called cast iron. But the differences come mostly down to trace elements besides carbon and silicon. Wiki has a good discussion of the various alloyants and what they do. None of which, by the way make for meaningful improvements in conductivity.