Did you get any food gifts for the 2016 holidays?

I received at least four tins of home-made cookies. Some were fantastic; others were cringe-worthy. I got home-made chocolate-peppermint bark that was meh and bark from my favorite old city candy shop that’s to-die-for. Hot chocolate again?

Gift cards from a great local cheese shop, a favorite inn and a restaurant I wouldn’t patronize otherwise.

Lots of bottles of weird stuff. Cinnamon whiskey, St. Germain, milky rum . . . .blech.

1 Like

I bought a lot of unusual food myself. Do they count? :smiley:

P.S.: I can never get tired of more hot chocolate.

1 Like

Sounds like a pretty varietal haul!

1 Like

Couple nice bottles of red wine.

Chocolates, nuts from Picard’s.

Some cinnamon honey, saskatoon jam

Oh- a couple of restaurant gift cards.

1 Like

Restaurant Gift Cards.

Gift to myself was a new back-splash in the kitchen!!

2 Likes

Godiva chocolate, pistachios, rugelach from Kossars, and some homemade cookies shaped like Christmas trees. Unlike last year, no one gave me a bottle Barefoot Moscato, so I’m thankful for that.

4 Likes

Got a nice box of dried food confit mixed with chocolate and a fresh pasta maker as Christmas gift.

Treated myself with several food books: a Macauese cooking book (didn’t arrive yet, blame Amazon), a christmas pastry book from Pierre Hermé and a viennoiserie recipe book, some nice sets of wares for eating…and a bland new Mauviel 1830 non stick pan. :blush:

1 Like

That made me laugh. I too was mercifully spared both Barefoot and Cupcake wines this year! And I’ve got to admit, I tasted the cinnamon whiskey and it wasn’t bad (or maybe I was so cold it just warmed me up).

1 Like

Hey, I could use one of those. Any chance you’ll be in suburban Philly in 2017?

I brought the Moscato to a New Year’s party and tried to sneak it onto the wine table, but the host caught me. Oh, the shame! I think someone’s kid ended up drinking it, which sounds about right.

3 Likes

I’ll take the St Germain off your hands ;)) i like it with vodka and seltzer.

The best food gift was a box of assorted mochi from one of the mills at work, they gave a bunch of us each a box of nine. The one with black sesame paste inside was my favorite.

A bag of “homemade” cookies from a coworker were a lovely gesture but tasted like storebought generic sugar cookie with rock hard colored frosting. I ate a star point and the rest were tossed at home.

Spicy sweet pecans from my aunt which i look forward to every year- they’re basically candied in a brown sugar mix that has a lot of coarse grind rainbow peppercorns and the right amount of salt.

Otherwise i have certainly treated myself to some seasonal goodies :grin:

3 Likes

I have vodka. I have seltzer. What ratios do you use? Always looking for a new cocktail.

1 Like

Agreed, I love St. Germain in cocktails. It’s lovely with dry sparkling wines - maybe one part liqueur to 5 parts wine, more if you like it sweeter.

2 Likes

Ha! My mother invited one of her nieces (whom we rarely see) to Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and she brought an enormous bottle of Barefoot pink Moscato. I saved us from having to drink it on the spot by suggesting that we let it get cold in the garage and have it with dessert. Luckily the niece was too soused on whiskey by the time dessert rolled around to remember the wine!

3 Likes

I had tried it when somebody flashed the bottle before me, and ever since I have my own at home. Beautiful, isn’t it this art deco inspired bottle!

3 Likes

Lol- I just received a bottle of Baby Duck - Canadian sparkling wine, probably a 3 for sweetness last night as a hostess gift. I dunno what’s going to happen to it. I continued to enjoy my Cremant de Loire.

1 Like

I received a few boxes of Lindt Kirsch batons and two boxes of Turrón. Very happy with both! I also purchased for myself some French essences (e.g., cassis etc.).

I made the traditional pork tamales on New Year’s Day like all good Texans and distributed them as gifts.

3 Likes

We got a gift bag full of those way-too-good things from Marich Confectionery. Yes, I know I don’t have to eat them all … right!!!

1 Like

What did you think of the St-Germain? While by this point I am a bit fed up with it, but that’s after ten years exposure to it. I got one of the first bottles into the US before it was imported. It is still an excellent liqueur. In the booze biz it’s nicknamed bartenders ketchup. (Because it is/was used in so many cocktails.)

By milky rum, do you mean RumChata? If so, I think it is excellent for what it is. A rum/horchata cream liqueur. You have to like horchata, and rum, and cream liqueurs, to appreciate it.