DEVILED EGGS - Spring 2023 (Apr-Jun) Dish of the Quarter

Same :joy:. I’ve made a couple of HBEs, sliced them in half, squirted some kewpie on them, s&p, hot paprika & a snip of scallion. Pickle is a good idea for a topping, or a pickled jalapeño slice or banana pepper :thinking:

My cousin loves these Kimchi Deviled Eggs served at Spinster Sisters in Santa Rosa. https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/recipes/kimchi-bacon-deviled-eggs/

1 Like

I like to pipe with star tip. The last time I made these I mixed yolks with softened butter, mayo, tiny bit of dijon and no salt because previous time they were too salty.

8 Likes

Screenshot_20230315-200707_kindlephoto-9511112

12 Likes

My daughter’s been telling me that she’s had deviled eggs topped with fried capers several
times at places in Las Vegas. Makes sense as just another type of ‘pickle’, but the ‘fried’ part is interesting.

2 Likes

I’ve had fried capers with tuna carpaccio. They really add the perfect, briny crunch.

1 Like

I think the perfect topping would be tobiko or masago.

I’ve never seen deviled eggs made with quail eggs; too fiddly perhaps?

1 Like

I’m a fan of deviled crab balls, deviled ham spread, deviled eggs…I’ll be in line forever!

4 Likes

I’ve seen them, but the thought of making them myself has me in a preemptive hot rage already :rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve made them with quail eggs for my grandchildren…it’s definitely a labor of love!
They take 11/2 ~2 minutes to cook.

3 Likes

Yum!!

1 Like

Me too! Eggs on Eggs!

Big plump salmon or trout roe :star_struck:

1 Like

not quite deviled eggs but hoity and toity:

1 Like

Lol I thought about that egg! I saw a photo of one w/scrambled eggs, uni & caviar in an eggshell - eggs on eggs on eggs w/brioche croutons. Hoity and toity.

1 Like

I would eat the hell out of that.

2 Likes

You can.

Not an eggshell, though. An uni shell.

reasons to go to NYC: 1) pizza 2) bagels 3) fancy eggs.

got it.

1 Like

Yes, we do a few things well.

2 Likes

A two-batch devilled egg day - standard for Easter Dinner and beet-pickled for tonight. These were in the pickling mixture about a day and a half and are intensely dark pink on exterior, which nicely disguises my less-than stellar shelling job. But it still had some white near the yolks. When I made these years ago, I tossed the beet slices that had been in the pickle mixture. This time I sampled one – very peppery - and decided I’ll keep the beets to add some zip to salads this week. My shortcut for a half-recipe is to use canned sliced beets as the starting point, adding cider vinegar and spices per New Midwestern Table recipe.

I attempted homemade food-processor mayo from the cookbook, to use as the filling base but failed completely – I think ingredients were too cold. So I instead used a part-recipe of listed alternative – commercial mayo with added olive oil and lemon juice, then stirred in dry mustard, honey and dijon mustard. I added a bit more than a Tablespoon of the mixture to the mashed yolks from 4 eggs. The rest of the mayo will likely be served with ham sandwiches.

11 Likes